Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My bag

Feedback Score
    thanks I'll look into those. I have a CRKT folder that I EDC but know I need a fixed blade for the "zombie wars".
    Lurked since 2009.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”
    Patrick Henry

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Molṑn Labé

SEMPER PARATUS Certified AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I'd personally have no problems at all recommending one of the ESEE fixed blades over a Ka-bar. I was issued the Ka-bar as a machine gunner, and they almost always had a broken tip. A fair number of them were surprising fragile, and I watched guys break them doing things that were not that brutal.

The ESEE blades tend to be a bit tougher in my experience. I really like the ESEE-3 or RAT-3, I think I have three of four of them. The ESEE-5 is a very useful larger knife. I'm not a huge fan of the factory handles on many of the Becker blades, a lot of people buy the Micarta aftermarket ones.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I have always considered a fixed blade a top priority.

Might I suggest you take a look at the ESEE line. The ESEE 6 or 5 should serve you well. Dollar for dollar one would be hard pressed to find a better knife for the money.

http://www.eseeknives.com/

If you want to purchase one The Knife Connection is one of their top dealers that carry harder to find models, good prices, and they make their own custom scales.

http://www.the-knife-connection.com/eseeknives.html
    Excellent.
    Thanks for those links.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    looks like a good kit.

as far as fixed blades go, I carry a Cold Steel SRK (survival Rescue Knife) the prices on those have risen a bit. i got mine for $55 at a PX in Afghanistan and it has been awesome. put it through hell as a prybar, hammer, and wood splitter. the black finish has come off the back of the blade when i was driving nails with it but 6 years later and no oil, it hasn't rusted at all.

on the water treatment, i got some chlorine tabs at the local sporting goods store. better than iodine imho, but either will work well. for a 20 mile trek home, i would try to filter the particles through a bandana and kill the bacteria or viruses with the iodine/chlorine. also saves the weight and space of a decent filter.

for firestarter, check out some cotton balls and Vaseline as well. not as brittle as waxed egg cartons full of sawdust. and a fire steel will be more durable than the wax matches. get a waterproof watch container for $1 and stuff it full of the Vaseline cotton balls. then wrap some duct tape around that.

i would also leave the baby wipes out unless you use them daily anyway. they dry out much easier than you think. maybe a bottle of hand sanitizer instead? it can also be used as a firestarting fluid.

for the food, i would keep it lighter. 20 miles is an overnight at most. so i would keep the powerbars but add some beef jerkey or peanuts with a couple single serve packets of Gatorade, will help cover up the iodine or chlorine flavoras well as provide electrolytes. will be more than enough to get you there. its easy to go heavy on food and such for a GHB. took me awhile to pair it down from somewhere between a GHB and a BOB.
    Last edited by broylz; 07-03-13 at 22:48.

Feedback Score
    Multi-tool
    Bic lighter
    Light jacket
    Leather work gloves
    Spare socks and moleskin patches if you plan on hiking 20 miles
    Glow sticks
    Spare flashlight
    Survival blanket, the foil type that folds up small.
    12" zip ties
    Small first aid kit and OTC meds like aspirn, tylenol, aleve, benadryl, anti-diarreah & antibiotic ointment

Feedback Score
    Great ideas folks. Was looking at the cotton balls and vasoline for fire starting and I think you are correct the purification tabs would be better/smaller to carry the a kit. Decided on a knife. I went with an EESE 6 and a molly back plus pouch. I figure I can put a small tin in the pouch with the cotton balls all strapped to my belt. Got some packing/configuring to do. Then pack it around for my daily walks to get used to the weight.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Last edited by 12aklabs; 07-04-13 at 12:43.
    Lurked since 2009.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”
    Patrick Henry

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Molṑn Labé

Feedback Score
    I like that this pack is less than 2 pounds. I need to get a lighter bag too.

For me, the most important items are water, seasonal clothing/rain gear, small first aid kit, and comfortable walking shoes. I would not overload the pack, but small and light items such as power bars, fire starting kit, and knife are worthwhile.

I've walked great distances, in all weather conditions and varying terrain on paved or unimproved roads, carrying a heavy rucksack, weapons, helmet, and other gear while maintaining a 15 minute per mile pace, without stopping for very long to rest or eat.

If traveling light, 20 miles could easily be covered in 5 hours or so. Moving cross country would take longer and be more difficult, and would require more support items. Of course any injuries could throw a monkey wrench into the works. YMMV.

When I was in Alaska, we were issued insulated canteens. How do yo keep your Camel Baks from freezing?

Feedback Score
    I just got my camel bak this summer so I really don't know. Maybe having it next to my back it will pick up enough body heat to stay liquid. Guess I'll find out in a few months as I plan to continue my walking in any weather. Better to check the gear/clothing out in a controlled setting vice when the SHTF. If anyone has an idea I am all ears as they say.

Lurked since 2009.

Patrick Henry

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Molṑn Labé

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12aklabs View Post
    I just got my camel bak this summer so I really don't know. Maybe having it next to my back it will pick up enough body heat to stay liquid. Guess I'll find out in a few months as I plan to continue my walking in any weather. Better to check the gear/clothing out in a controlled setting vice when the SHTF. If anyone has an idea I am all ears as they say.

Depending on how cold, your body heat/movement/insulation, ect. should be fine for keeping the water in liquid form. The problem is if you were to leave water in the hose. For that, just simply blow air back through the hose after you're done drinking so that you can push all the liquid back into the bag.

Of course I don't have that problem here in TX

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'd personally have no problems at all recommending one of the ESEE fixed blades over a Ka-bar. I was issued the Ka-bar as a machine gunner, and they almost always had a broken tip. A fair number of them were surprising fragile, and I watched guys break them doing things that were not that brutal.

The ESEE blades tend to be a bit tougher in my experience. I really like the ESEE-3 or RAT-3, I think I have three of four of them. The ESEE-5 is a very useful larger knife. I'm not a huge fan of the factory handles on many of the Becker blades, a lot of people buy the Micarta aftermarket ones.
    I have a couple of the ESSE-3's and they are very solid and keep their edges' rather well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast