Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on remanufactured ammunition?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thoughts on remanufactured ammunition?

Hello m4carbine.net

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on purchasing and using remanufactured ammo from the various reman ammo companies I keep seeing. I like many of you have taken a serious hit to my practice schedule due to the ammo craziness, but i see affordable prices on brass cased reman ammo from the likes of freedom munitions and lax ammo. Does anyone have bad experiences using remanufactured ammo for practice and training only? I'm only interested in 9mm and it will only be shot out of my training gun, not my carry guns. Before the madness I was shooting 1200-1500 rounds of 9mm a month but I'm down to shooting about 300 a month now. I would like to at least double that number.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used to use remanufactured ammo form a place in IN called Precision Cartidge (or something like that). (Our local PD also bought large amounts from them for practice.) I was highly impressed - and saved money in the process. They used - I believe - only once-fired brass, and it looked 95% as good as new ammo. Now, hoever - they only supply to their "large" customers like PDs, so I am looking for other sources of reman ammo (9mm & .45) for personal use, i.e., a few thousand rounds at a time.
    john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have had some good experiences back in the day. Could buy local re-manufactured ammo at a lower price and other then generally being dirtier it worked fine as range ammo. However, locally one of the two local places, the last 500rds I bought in .40 were loaded light as hell and would not reliably cycle a pistol. The other place that is local is selling their ammo at or above what I can be new manufacture for, guess which I choose?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I got a call from "a guy" last night who saw two guns get blode to bits by some jookie reman ammo. One of which was his.

Reman in and of itself isn't bad.... if done right.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If your reman vendor assures you that your ammo is loaded with once-fired brass, yet reminds you repeatedly to send your brass back in when done...danger.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I got a call from "a guy" last night who saw two guns get blode to bits by some jookie reman ammo. One of which was his.

Reman in and of itself isn't bad.... if done right.
    223/556 or 9mm?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    223/556 or 9mm?
    223. PM sent.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

Re: Thoughts on remanufactured ammunition?

I think the supply of once fired military brass is being destroyed before the civilian market can get their hands on it

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thatpanda View Post
    Hello m4carbine.net

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on purchasing and using remanufactured ammo from the various reman ammo companies I keep seeing. I like many of you have taken a serious hit to my practice schedule due to the ammo craziness, but i see affordable prices on brass cased reman ammo from the likes of freedom munitions and lax ammo. Does anyone have bad experiences using remanufactured ammo for practice and training only? I'm only interested in 9mm and it will only be shot out of my training gun, not my carry guns. Before the madness I was shooting 1200-1500 rounds of 9mm a month but I'm down to shooting about 300 a month now. I would like to at least double that number.
    How much were you paying for ammo before? I think around $.20 a round for brass cased ammo was about standard before looking at order histories for early 2012. I regularly can find brass cased ammo for $.33 a round right now and steel case at $.29 to $.31 a round.

Putting the math to it:
    1200/.20 = $240 a month
    $240/.33 =~ 720 rounds a month at current prices so you are well over double the 300 mark.

And a lot of the reman ammo I see listed for sale is in the $.30-34 range so you aren't saving much at all.

That said, I would be hard pressed to trust reloaded ammo right now. People are pushing QC standards and workers into over time to get ammo out the door. Or just flat telling lies. I just got back from a class where the guy brought 2000 rounds of "reloaded" ammo down. It kept not lighting off and one time it did light off either it didn't extract or was too hot. Blew the extractor out of his glock in half. I've got a cut on my calf where it hit me. We started looking at the ammo and it was a mix of some crap reloads and mostly milsurp egyption sub gun ammo. It worked great in an mp5 and uzi but it was not handgun friendly.

Feedback Score
    So why must they use once fire cases? I've reloaded .223 and pistol rounds many times! Once fired or 5 times fired whats the big deal as long as the case are not showing any signs of cracks, seperations, primer pocket still tight reload it! Funny I could have sworn Black Hills ammo started out as a Reman ammo co.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast