Thread: Questions re best shotgun light setup...

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Question Questions re best shotgun light setup...

Hey all,

I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster. Great info here, so I figured I'd toss out a question for you to consider.

I recently ordered my first home defense shotgun, an FN SLP 18-inch model. Considering its role, I'd like to hang a light off the front, probably attached under the mag tube (although, thanks to material I've read here, I'm considering hanging it at 12 o'clock).

Assuming I can find a quality 1913 rail, what light should I use? The X300 would be perfect, but I think I'll need to use a tape switch and it sounds like no one knows when the XT07 will become available again. That combo is also relatively pricey, although if there's nothing at that light output, weight, and size, I'd consider it.

I ordered a TLR-1 with the shotgun tape switch, but I'd happily sell it or relegate it to a pistol if I found a higher-output option that sounded reasonable. Any ideas?
    Last edited by MiamiAttorney; 04-11-08 at 00:14. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    I would think your front sight would be too much of an obstruction to mount the light at the 12 O'Clock position. I used to have that shotgun, but sold it awhile back. I presently have a Mossberg 930 SPX which is very similar. I suppose I could take my X300 from my M&P and place it on the shotgun and take a pic of the light pattern for you. IMO, the advantage of the 12 O'Clock position is pretty much limited to carbine use from an obstructed/barricade firing position. Even then, there are alternative solutions- such as lasers that allow you to accurately engage your targets without exposing your firing position. Others will chime in, but I don't think that is as much of an issue with a shotgun since the cone of dispersion allows for a bit of flexibility with regards to sight & target alignment (unless you are shooting slugs). I would mount it at 6 O'Clock and be done with it. I saw the FNH 2008 catalog and they are introducing several new models- they may even offer something in the near future. I wouldn't want to wait for Surefire to produce an integrated solution as their reps have said that they won't even consider it unless a shotgun becomes accepted for duty use by several departments/agencies. Too bad, as I believe their solution is the best thing out there.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply.

I agree that the front sight is probably a problem for 12 o'clock mounting. Even on the shotgun, though, I kinda like the idea, but I can't really tell how much of a difference it would actually make.

Still, though, are there any lighting solutions besides the TLR-1 and the X300 that would make sense here?

Feedback Score
    The X300 would be my first choice followed by X200B then X200A. The only Insight product I would use on a shotgun would be the SSL-1. I fully believe in the usefulness of lasers with handguns and carbines- but I don't really see them as a viable tool for the shotgun. It all depends upon the role you intend the weapon to fill. My shotgun is a blaster- and very effective. But if I want a precise shot or longer range- I reach for my carbine.