The E cigarettes are truly the first real break through for smokers, and even non smokers. Smokers (who may or may not end up quitting from their use) can avoid most of the harmful compounds found cig smoke, and non smokers don't have deal with the smoke either.

I recently gave an E Cig set up to my friend Dave and it's changed his life for the better in a big way.

E Cigs are a win win in my view. What could go wrong? Per usual, the powers that be have decided to introducing legislation restricting the use of electronic cigarettes. Likely due to lobbying power of standard cancer sticks I'd wager....

E-cigarettes: Is a smoking alternative being choked by regulation?

"While e-cigarettes can be used as a stepping stone to ending nicotine addiction, some vapers see them as a way to continue a hobby they enjoy without the attendant fear of death. That's because although nicotine is the addictive ingredient in cigarettes many experts do not think it is especially harmful. It's the tar and other nasties in tobacco that kill.

"Nicotine is not very dangerous, and it's very unlikely someone will overdose on the nicotine in electronic cigarettes by inhaling the vapour," says Maciej Goniewicz from Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, New York - an oncologist who has analysed e-cigarettes and the vapours they produce."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23196369