Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buying used

Feedback Score

buying used

Hey guys, after much thought, I've decided to get both a .22 revolver and a .357/38 revolver. but since I'm on a budget for this I'll have to buy used. I'd like to keep this under 500 for both, so what are some decent brands to look at? these will get used and abused and replaced in a few years so I don't need anything amazing, just reliable. Also I've never bought used so what are some things to look at when I'm buying? For instance how tight the lockup is or something? Thanks guys

Feedback Score
    Ummm... $500.00 each, or $500.00 for both?

$500.00 each is reasonably do-able, I'd get a clean Ruger GP100 in stainless for the .357, and a Ruger SP101 in 22 LR. Each can be had used for about $500.00.

If you want to spend $250.00 ea, I don't have any recommendations for you except to buy the .357 above, and wait until moneys better for the .22.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    Well I've seen taurus, rugers, EAA, rossi, some smiths, etc for 500 new so wouldn't 250-300 be reasonable for used? it's 500 total

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cthompson36 View Post
    Well I've seen taurus, rugers, EAA, rossi, some smiths, etc for 500 new so wouldn't 250-300 be reasonable for used? it's 500 total
    exactly.

Your not going to get quality at that price point.

Id say the 500 range for a used older beat up SW is doable. I just scored a 66-1 on gunbroker for $600+shipping/ffl/ect

of course then I turned around and dropped another $200 on accessories and $400 on ammo... such is life!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For me personally there are only two companies that make revolvers - Smith and Wesson and Ruger. And even then, Ruger needs some extra loving in the action department. $500 for both is doable, but would require some shopping around.

The main things I would check: cock the hammer and check cylinder play for all not just one. Also check cylinder movement front and back. Make sure the hammer cannot be pushed down when cocked. There are other things to check, but that's all that comes to mind. You may want to look into certain tolerances as well.

Feedback Score
    I thought taurus wasn't bad just their customer service can be dicey. but for instance, a ruger sp101 is 477$ on buds, so reasonably i could get that for like 300$ right? and the .22 is only for plinking so I could get an off brand or something since its just basically a toy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Buying both for under $500 is a tough nut to crack. For a reasonably priced .38/.357 revolver I agree with the suggestion to look at Ruger.

I can tell you from personal experience to steer clear of Taurus. Quality control on the new ones is a crap shoot at best.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I thought taurus wasn't bad just their customer service can be dicey. but for instance, a ruger sp101 is 477$ on buds, so reasonably i could get that for like 300$ right? and the .22 is only for plinking so I could get an off brand or something since its just basically a toy.
    Personally I like S&W, but I hear the Ruger is a viable second choice

Also , I do A LOT of training with a .22, so I assumed you would want a .22 that matches your primary as close as possible.
    Ive got a tiny ultra light all aluminum pre lock Smith .22 for snubby practice that I LOVE. But that gun alone is over your whole budget. I just dont see getting a good quality set of guns inside that price range.

Feedback Score
    for the .22 it doesnt have to be a snubby or anything. its purely for fun so i don't mind cheaping out on that one. but would a used sp101 be a good option? or maybe smith and wesson if i find a cheap one?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    for the .22 it doesnt have to be a snubby or anything. its purely for fun so i don't mind cheaping out on that one. but would a used sp101 be a good option? or maybe smith and wesson if i find a cheap one?
    you said in the op "after much thought"
    so, what exactly where those thoughts about and whats the gun for?

If its just for fun (and theres nothing wrong with that!) then anything that wont break on you is fine. If its going to get used to hunt at some point theres other considerations, is it a carry gun, if your playing gun games then what game and what division? ect ect ect

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast