Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber's SIS

Feedback Score

Kimber's SIS

I am curious about people's experience with this gun. It was set up for LAPD's high-speed investigations section and, according to the gun mags, had input from Hilton Yam and Larry Vickers. Ironically one of the specs was for a Series I Kimber, which is a no-go in CA, but people outside that state get the Series I.

I fumbled with one in a gun shop and think the combination of the subdued SIS serations and the finish is an odd combination, but that is the extent of my contact with it. Anyone have any real experience with one?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I like the pistol and think it's a good value.

My dislikes are the ambi-safety and the cocking serrations combined with it's slick finish on the slide. I think it would do better with the Kimber Target Match style course serrations if they're going to use a slick finish like that. The Target Match has every odd serration milled off.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it's the best Kimber you can buy. The one at ATS looked pretty decent for the money. Hopefully they will get by without Kimber's usual QC issues.

The sights were pretty nice, when paired with the flat-top slide they really jumped up and were highly visible.

A different finish might make give it a little more purchase, but I would have skipped those serrations myself.

Feedback Score

Question

GotM4, why do you dislike the ambi safety? Is there any advantage to having the safety on just one side?
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I think there are BETTER pistols out there for the money or slightly more that offer a FAR more pragmatic platform.

I agree the serrations are slippery and to me more GIMMICKY than functional.

Just because they MAY have had some input does not mean they ENDORSE it personally....

You'll notice they don't shoot w/ it either...

Unfortunately, many products are GIMMICKY rather than functional and ENDORSEMENTS are not always what they appear...

I have seen this OVER and OVER in this industry.

Caveat Emptor

YMMV...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You could always fill the SIS slide serrations with skateboard tape..cut 2 small S's and the I, might help
    My future's determined by Thieves, thugs, and vermin
    My rights are denied by Those least qualified
    Everything's backwards In Americana

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Those "serrations" are downright awful.

When I first saw "sis" I was wondering "where's 'bro'?"

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score

Question

It looks like a good weapon. I remember back in the day when Kimber was the new kid on the block for producing a .45 but it was accurate and of high quality. Now days, you don't what you get when you buy a Kimber. In two mag articles, it's touted as the "Cat's Ass" in .45's. So the question remains, have they addressed the problems with their QC or just on the SIS? Is LA SWAT satisfied with their special production Kimbers????
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Zero View Post
    GotM4, why do you dislike the ambi safety? Is there any advantage to having the safety on just one side?
    I just don't like ambi safeties. I wish even my Limited gun didn't have one.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Caveat: I use ambi safeties on my 1911's...

With the above in mind, the fact is that the thin little "teeth" that join many ambi safeties is a weak link in the system. They can get torqued and fatigue over time. I've seen a stock Kimber ambi safety that had the right hand safety on safe and the left hand safety was off safe.

So you get the idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast