Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Reloading Any Suggestions on .223

Feedback Score

New to Reloading Any Suggestions on .223

I have purchased a new press and want to start reloading .223 for my AR. Any suggestions on powder/ primer combinations. Any info will be well appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Win 748, WLP, Processed Brass from Scharch, and the Hornady 55gr FMJ bullets work great for me. I have yet to have one not function properly. Been loading on a 550B for the past year. I use a Lee FCD since I load these for my AR.

Feedback Score
    Already a few threads on this, but Ramshot TAC is a very popular choice for .223.
    It's less expensive than most of the other good choices and it's claen and produces very accurate loads.

I use 24.5 grains with a 55 grain fmj bullet and Rem 7 1/2 primers for general purpose and bump it up to 25 grains with a 52 grain Sierra Match KIng.

Other popular powders are the previously mentioned Win 748, Reloader 15, Accurate 2460 and Hornady BLC2, 335, Varget, IMR 4895 ans Vhita Vuori N133.

I've tried many of the powders listed above and TAC gets my vote so far.

Feedback Score
    I've use IMR4895 on 5.56 Lake city brass and found that it filled way up and getting almost a compress load! USe the Winchester W748 ball powder and it loads and measure much better.

USe that on both 55 grain FMJ and 62 grain M855 bullets!

Using CCI Military small rifle primers or WInchester Small rifle primers! both works great .

I reload using a Lee turret press with the RCBS electronic powder dropper. the loading and all that is fast! it is the hassle of trimming the brass , cleaning it and somtimes priming can get into some issues becasue a lot of the military brass do have a primer crimp on it! so !have to clean up the burrs in the primer pocket.
    '

DaveC

Feedback Score
    TAC is about $3-4 per pound cheaper than W748 and you'll use less of it.
    It's a ball powder so it meters perfectly and it's cleaner.
    Reloading is about saving money and making more accurate rounds than you can buy.
    TAC gives you both.

Feedback Score
    Kool! I will give RAmshot TAC a try!

DaveC

Feedback Score
    I'll throw my two cents in...

Brass: your preference. I prefer lake city brass for my match rifle, and everything else for my SHTF rifle
    Powder: TAC is an excellent choice, I use 23.0gr. I use Varget for my match loads. TAC meters extremely well, and is cheaper.
    Primers: your preference. I like to use Federal Gold Medal Match 205M for my match loads and anything else (whatever is cheapest) for SHTF loads. I've heard of people getting good results with Wolf Russian primers, so I may try those eventually.
    Projos: your preference. If you're just plinking, I've had good results with these 55gr FMJ-BT's(and the prices include shipping): https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montana.../pricelist.tpl

As far as presses go, you'll get a million different answers. I'll never be without my trusty Dillon 550. For dies, I use RCBS extensively with the exception of a Redding competition seater die for my match loads. Make sure and pick up a small base full-length sizer for at least the first sizing of brass to make sure you have no problems with extraction in a semi-auto.

-WRM

Feedback Score

My favorite

Lake city brass,CCI BR primer,24 grains of AA 2230, 62 grain SS109, eats a 2inch hole @200 yards.
    This with a cheapo Model one sales 1 in 8 Bull barrel

Feedback Score
    Dont' for get H335

I am also interested in TAC...where do you get load data for it?

Feedback Score

Exclamation

xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-08-09 at 22:09.
    Qui Me Tangit Paenitebit (he who touches me will repent)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast