Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FMJ vs Non-jacketed

Feedback Score

FMJ vs Non-jacketed

So I'm speaking specifically about 5.56/.223 - your typical AR-15 caliber(s). I had a discussion about american eagle black box ammo (i found some at a good price and wanted to know if it was any good) with a friend of mine who's an avid AR-15 user/owner and this is what he said regarding metal jackets AND (non brass) cases: "Steel casings and jackets are primed with paint because eventually they will rust. As the barrel starts to heat up, the paint begins to melt inside the barrel. Eventually the paint sticks to the inner diameter of the barrel causing the barrel diameter to "shrink". As the diameter shrinks eventually it won't allow a bullet to pass through. I (he) saw a guy the other day that had fired 2 shots and the lead never left his barrel. Usually if it's just one jammed in the barrel it can be hammered out. But this guy had 2 locked together and there was nothing they could do to save the barrel. He had to buy another one."

Is this true? I read somewhere else that THIS would happen if the bullet WASN'T coated. In other words, a non-jacketed bullet will leave lead deposits in the barrel eventually having the same effect.

Can someone please shed some light on this? Thank you.
    "Withhold no sacrifice, begrudge no toil, seek no sordid gain, fear no foe, all will be well." ~ Winston Churchill

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RtWing View Post
    "...I (he) saw a guy the other day that had fired 2 shots and the lead never left his barrel. Usually if it's just one jammed in the barrel it can be hammered out. But this guy had 2 locked together and there was nothing they could do to save the barrel. He had to buy another one."
    I'm really doubting the guy's story here. If you had a bullet lodged in the barrel, regardless of why it was stuck there, and fired another live round, I'd be more worried about having to replace other stuff than the barrel: The bolt, carrier, upper receiver, and possibly parts of your face and hands. I can't imagine that NOT causing a catastrophic 'kaboom!'

As for the rest, I think he is talking about 'bi-metal' jackets, where there is a very thin layer of copper (and not paint) over a steel bullet. I've not personally heard of this supposed barrel-clogging problem, other than the usual steel case debate and how exactly it fouls the chamber, when it comes to such ammo use. (and that indoor ranges don't allow steel-core or bi-metal rounds, too damaging to the back stops.) As far as I know, most bi-metal bullets are from companies like Wolf, Tula, Brown Bear, and the like. The AE 'black box' stuff is good, I've never heard of it being bi-metal, if that was in question. As far as the more technical details of 'steel case pros and cons,' do a search here on 'steel case ammo' and you will find pretty much everything you could ask about it. Personally, I've not had a problem shooting a ton of Wolf ammo through my rifles when it's all I've got, but I always do a good cleaning afterwards.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Your buddy is retarded from the neck up.

There's too much wrong with his beliefs to even try to tackle it all.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Two different things here.
    1 is the jacketed ammo you really shouldnt shoot lead projectiles at rifle velocities yes it well lead the barrel, I dont believe anyone sells un coated 223 it either has a jacket or is plated with copper so unless he had cast bullets and reloaded them I dont see that as happening but it is plausable.

2 yes steel cased ammo has a laquer or polymer coating the coating sticks to the chamber typically causing failures to extract I have never had this problem with my AK I dont shoot steel cased 223/556. I would have a hard time believing it entering the bore and causing a squib.

The other part of the story about having 2 rounds stuck in the barrel I would call bs on after the first squib the second shot would more than likely kaboom the rifle from all the pressure.

ETA: beat me to above but yeah same idea.
    Last edited by RearwardAssist; 07-11-13 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    You know, I wanted to call him out on the BS story but black rifles are relatively new to me and I can't speak from experience on the topic so I left it alone to bring it here. But I've been an avid hunter/gun owner my whole life and this story didn't sit right with me.

On a side note, american eagle black box does sell a 5.56 NATO round that's MCBT (metal case boat tail) so it also got me wondering if all of their stuff was metal and not brass cased.
    Last edited by RtWing; 07-11-13 at 09:28.
    "Withhold no sacrifice, begrudge no toil, seek no sordid gain, fear no foe, all will be well." ~ Winston Churchill

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RearwardAssist View Post
    steel cased ammo has a laquer or polymer coating the coating sticks to the chamber typically causing failures to extract
    That is absolutely, utterly untrue, and has been confirmed as such many times on these forums.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

FMJ vs Non-jacketed

If your friend hasn't had kids yet, sterilize him, then find a new friend. He is completely full of shit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: FMJ vs Non-jacketed

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    If your friend hasn't had kids yet, sterilize him, then find a new friend. He is completely full of shit.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RtWing View Post
    On a side note, american eagle black box does sell a 5.56 NATO round that's MCBT (metal case boat tail) so it also got me wondering if all of their stuff was metal and not brass cased.
    I've seen XM193 marked as MCBT, I can't imagine it's a copper coating like on the 'Bloc' import stuff. The thickness may be the difference between 'metal case' and 'coated,' but I don't readily see anything defining the specs on 'MCBT' right offhand. I was always under the impression that XM193 was a lead core, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet66 View Post
    I've seen XM193 marked as MCBT, I can't imagine it's a copper coating like on the 'Bloc' import stuff. The thickness may be the difference between 'metal case' and 'coated,' but I don't readily see anything defining the specs on 'MCBT' right offhand. I was always under the impression that XM193 was a lead core, too.
    I'm talking CASE, you are talking JACKET.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast