Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Vortex Viper 4-16 on Reminton 700

Feedback Score

Mounting Vortex Viper 4-16 on Reminton 700

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 and I'm planning on putting a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 (FFP) on it. The plan to use this rifle to get into long range shooting (I'm not experienced enough to tell you how far I'd like to shoot, but I'd like to be able to use what the .308 has to offer when I get good enough) and I'd like to be able to hunt with it (most of the hunting would occur within 100 yards).

After doing a lot of reading I'm looking into mountin it with:

Badger 20 moa base http://www.midwayusa.com/product/173...t-action-matte

and Burris Extreme Medium mounts http://www.midwayusa.com/product/381...m-package-of-2

My question is; at this point most of my target shooting at this point would be done at 100-200 yards because I still have to learn the basics of posture, trigger control etc... Now, I've read that a 20 moa base can't hurt and you don't need to buy anything later when you get to the point where you need that extra elevation, but I've also read how some people end up bottoming their elevation out with a 100 yard zero using a 20 MOA base (not with this scope specifically). should I be able to use this setup at and inside 100 yards without bottoming out the elevation or being so close to doing so that I would damage the scope?

Thanks,
    Ace.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the 6-24 PST on a 20 MOA base and have come nowhere near the limit when zeroing at 100.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score

Re: Mounting Vortex Viper 4-16 on Reminton 700

You'll be just fine. I use the seekins +20 base on my remmy 700 with that same scope.

Sent with chisel and slate via Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Congrats on your selection of a nice optic.

I run a Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP on my .308 Win. along with a 20 MOA base. The PST has enough adjustment to allow me a 100 yd zero without an issues. I can't think of a reason why your experience would yield anything different.

Feedback Score
    I'd actually go with this base instead
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/918...ed-front-matte

I tried the badger mount on my Savage 308 and found it to be too long in the front, such that I could not mount my scope nice and low because the scope bell would hit the pic rail. Not to mention its not a true 1913 pic rail (note the gap in the center, reduced bearing surface!), and the one piece design will not allow left side single round loading (if that's important to you). Having tried both, I would say the Valdada mount is superior
    Last edited by slinkwc2k; 06-24-13 at 21:04.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have the PST 4-16x50 FFP in Badger rings on a 20moa Badger base on a R700P with no problems.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aceofspades991 View Post
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 and I'm planning on putting a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 (FFP) on it. The plan to use this rifle to get into long range shooting (I'm not experienced enough to tell you how far I'd like to shoot, but I'd like to be able to use what the .308 has to offer when I get good enough) and I'd like to be able to hunt with it (most of the hunting would occur within 100 yards).

After doing a lot of reading I'm looking into mountin it with:

Badger 20 moa base http://www.midwayusa.com/product/173...t-action-matte

and Burris Extreme Medium mounts http://www.midwayusa.com/product/381...m-package-of-2

My question is; at this point most of my target shooting at this point would be done at 100-200 yards because I still have to learn the basics of posture, trigger control etc... Now, I've read that a 20 moa base can't hurt and you don't need to buy anything later when you get to the point where you need that extra elevation, but I've also read how some people end up bottoming their elevation out with a 100 yard zero using a 20 MOA base (not with this scope specifically). should I be able to use this setup at and inside 100 yards without bottoming out the elevation or being so close to doing so that I would damage the scope?

Thanks,
    Ace.
    If anything go with Seekins/Badger (or better yet get vortex rings, they are made by glen seekins, just cheaper) and a less expensive base. EGW makes a nice canted base for around $40-$50 and you are losing no perfomance to Badger/Seekins/GDI/ect.

The PST has plenty of internal elevation, 20MOA wont come close to the extreames of the elevation range with a 100yard or even a 300yd zero.

Congrats on FFP. Once you go FFP, you never go back. I would recomend you stick with Mil/Milrad... as most of the high end optics use this system and will be easier to transition once you upgrade your rig.

Feedback Score
    Ya, I looked into egw but I've read reports of issues with aluminum based when they're used on big bore riffles. I know. 308 isn't a big bore, but since I plan on hunting with the gun I don't want to run the risk of knocking the scope on something and damaging the base. Is this not a valid concern?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Feedback Score
    Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 and a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP is what I have set up.

Using TPS .822 rings on a LaRue 20 MOA base I zeroed at 100 yards with 13 MOA from bottom - 68 MOA left to top out turret. (had to notch rear edge, center of base to clear scope to position for my cheek weld)
    Using TPS .925 rings on a LaRue 20 MOA base I zeroed at 100 yards with 16 MOA from bottom - 65 MOA left to top out turret.

Both sightings were using the only ammo available at this time PPU 145.
    2 MOA was the best I could get out of her with an HS stock bedded and a Timney trigger set at 2.5 pounds.
    NRA Lifetime Member
    Firearms and Diesel Trucks....the left's worst nightmare!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You will be fine.

I have the 4-16 MOA/MOA on an MWS and a 6-24 MIL/MIL on an R700 with the Badger 20 MOA base.

With the zero stop in the 6-24 I have .5 mil of down adjustment before it hits the stop. I have the zero stop in the 4-16, but I cant remember when it actually stops it, I think I get maybe 1 MOA down out of it before it actually hits the stop. So you should be able to, if you needed to for some odd reason, dial down a little more if you were to need to take a 50 yard shot or something like that and you didnt want to hold the miniscule amount necessary.

I believe I have 13.5 mil's left on the 6-24 which should get me out to 1200 yards(again in theory) depending on the load. On the 4-16 on the MWS(which DOESNT have a 20 moa base) I dont remember what it had left, but I do remember checking things out and with 175g FGMM I could get out to 1100 I believe with it based on JBM Ballistics. Ill never shoot that far with either gun so I am safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast