Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet tumbling question

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/tips/

Q. How do you keep the brass from tarnishing or spotting after it has dried?
    A. Make sure you occasionally tumble just the Media with soap for a few hours to clean carbon from media. Use only 1/4 teaspoon LemiShine or less, more is not better. Try using Cold water to tumble and Cold water to rinse brass and make sure you rinse the brass really good. Let the brass dry on its own and see if that helps.

I found that minimizing amount of lemi-shine is the key and using enough soap so that after the tumble you still have suds. I tumble in COLD water. Rinse in my media separator in COLD water. I then put the brass on a clean bucket give a final rinse swirling it in HOT water. I drain it in my media separator to sping all the water out as much as I can and lay it out to dry on a towel. It comes out without water spots or tarnishing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Wet tumbling question

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
    http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/tips/

Q. How do you keep the brass from tarnishing or spotting after it has dried?
    A. Make sure you occasionally tumble just the Media with soap for a few hours to clean carbon from media. Use only 1/4 teaspoon LemiShine or less, more is not better. Try using Cold water to tumble and Cold water to rinse brass and make sure you rinse the brass really good. Let the brass dry on its own and see if that helps.

I found that minimizing amount of lemi-shine is the key and using enough soap so that after the tumble you still have suds. I tumble in COLD water. Rinse in my media separator in COLD water. I then put the brass on a clean bucket give a final rinse swirling it in HOT water. I drain it in my media separator to sping all the water out as much as I can and lay it out to dry on a towel. It comes out without water spots or tarnishing.
    Thanks.
    This is not tarnish, it's a whole new color to the brass inside and out.

I'll change a few things and see what happens.

Feedback Score

Re: Wet tumbling question

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    You guys have been a huge help, thanks so much. Smart asses.
    You're welcome!

Seriously though, run a few batches with no lemi. If you no longer get discolored brass you know the lemi is a factor.

Then to find out if it's lemi period or the amount, start with a smaller dose, 1/4 tsp., and run a few and go from there.

If you need more brass to clean to complete testing, let me know. You can clean some of mine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    I couldn't find lemi-shine when I started out wet tumbling so I used Finish dishwasher rinse agent and a small squirt of dawn, no problems there with any discoloration and no, I don't measure, just a small amount (roughly 1/2 tsp) of Finish goes into my Sidewinder.

I also use tap water from the local municipality, no telling what's in that besides all the additives they use... lol
    Last edited by Sticky; 07-12-13 at 12:13.
    Beware of Dog. Shoots to kill...

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    WORD, Yo!

Our AZ water is harder than hell. I use a healthy amount of Lemmy Shizzle.
    Not intending to hijack the thread:

Not considering cost or hassle, is it better to get a water softener or use lemi-shine? After seeing the results from friends I would like to use a wet tumbler myself

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Wet tumbling question

Quote Originally Posted by tostado22 View Post
    Not considering cost or hassle, is it better to get a water softener or use lemi-shine?
    The benefits to a softener expand well beyond that of wet tumbling.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    It takes much longer to get that high polished look when the tumbler is full (overfilled). I know that when I put more brass in than I should it looks like you described, if I take it out too early. Probably not what you're talking, but maybe...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

discolor

i have been using very small amounts of lemi and same with soap(dawn) 1/2 teaspoon. use what ever temp is comming out when i turn on the hot tap. have noticed that pmc is almost always diffrent shade than every other head stamps i also weigh out my cases to keep from over loading, and if i'm in a hurry to dry i'll turn the oven to 150 and put them in a metal container and let sit for 1/2 -45 mins. been purposely digging up as much brass out of the dirt as i can find when i go to the range found the tarnish will polish out to light staining after an hour of tumble, have had zero problems getting it to feed

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrott View Post
    have noticed that pmc is almost always diffrent shade than every other head stamps
    Yep. PMC always has a slightly more pinkish shade to it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I've been wet tumbling with the stainless pins for a few weeks now and I'm completely impressed, but I have had a couple batches come out a little "gold" or slightly copper colored rather than super shiny brass color.

I can get pics tonight if it helps, but it's only been maybe 3 batches out of about 15. Am I causing this?

I'm using hot water, a squirt of Dawn and a 1/2 teaspoon of Lemi-shine.

What gives?
    You're using too much Lemishine.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast