Thread: "Fish Oil" and Prostate Cancer Connection?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

"Fish Oil" and Prostate Cancer Connection?

I'm sure you all have seen the headlines on this one. If concerned and or interested in the topic, Dr. Lopez examines in objective detail what risks, if any, long chain fatty acids (the “fish oils” EPA/DHA would be in that category) present to the prostate.

Long-Chain Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Friend or Foe to Prostate?
    More than meets the eye to recent controversy over omega-3 levels and prostate cancer risk—Lets take a closer look

Hector Lopez, MD, CSCS, FAAPMR

A large-scale prospective case-cohort study evaluating plasma fatty acid levels and prostate cancer risk, published in JNCI (Journal of the National Cancer Institute) online ahead of print on July 10th, 2013 has created quite the stir amongst media, health care professionals, nutrition researchers, and the dietary supplement industry…Again! To quote the great Yogi Berra, “It’s like déjà vu, all over again.”

This recent study was led by Drs. Alan Kristal from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, and Theodore Brasky of The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center in the USA as a follow up to their 2011 study. This new study analyzed data and blood plasma phospholipid status from men who participated in the SELECT (Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial) trial from 427 participating sites across Europe, USA, Canada and Puerto Rico. Blood was analyzed for 834 “cases” diagnosed with prostate cancer (156 of which were high-grade), and an age-matched subcohort, comparison group of 1,393 all of which were selected from the 35,533 participants.

Continued HERE
    Last edited by WillBrink; 07-13-13 at 08:54.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score

Re: "Fish Oil" and Prostate Cancer Connection?

I think I'll keep taking it. I don't think fish oil will rot my ass out. Actually I think it lubes the turd for an easier bowel movement.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.
    Last edited by KUSA; 07-13-13 at 09:04.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    I think I'll keep taking it. I don't think fish oil will rot my ass out. Actually I think it lubes the turd for an easier bowel movement.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.
    Take home from his lengthy article being:

"Overall, the benefits of increasing omega-3 status (and decreasing omega-6 over abundance) for most people outweigh potential risks. Stay tuned…but as always keep a cool head and try to avoid being drawn into dramatic, emotionally-charged and sensational headlines."

Would seem to generally agree with your conclusion.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've you've got a set of balls, you live long enough, and something else doesn't kill you first, you're gonna get prostate cancer.

And even then, the odds are that something else will still kill ya first.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Re: "Fish Oil" and Prostate Cancer Connection?

The fact is that leading a healthy lifestyle will decrease your chances of getting anything. If all you change in your life is to take fish oil then maybe there could be something to this, but I choose a healthy lifestyle across the board due to the fact that I have so many genetically prone issues to fend off. Cancers being one of them. I'll continue with fish oil thank you very much.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave View Post
    I've you've got a set of balls, you live long enough, and something else doesn't kill you first, you're gonna get prostate cancer.

^^^ This

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave View Post

My grandfather found out he had prostate cancer when he was 88. The doctor told him not to worry about it.
    Of course he wanted to know how it would effect his sex life.....