Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the best water purifiers?

Feedback Score

What are the best water purifiers?

With potable water being a paramount issue in a survival situation lasting more than a day, what are some thoughts on a purification system kept in the bugout bag?

Feedback Score
    Katadyn Pocket works for me; pricey but worth it IMO.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I'd actually say for a bag, go with the Katadyn Mini:

http://www.jrhenterprises.com/Katady...ilter-8001.htm

Don't think in a bug out situation you are going to go over the 3000 gallon life of the filter. Smaller and lighter than the Pocket, works like a champ.

I own both, but for lugging around in a pack, I go Mini every time.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    General Ecology First Need. Heavier than most, but better than all in my experience.

Feedback Score

Re: What are the best water purifiers?

Sawyer pointONE. I have one of their filters for backpacking and like it a lot. They have a million gallon guarantee, may not be able to take advantage during SHTF but it instills some confidence. Looking to add a system to a rain barrel for SHTF.

They have a pointzeroTwo if you are worried about viruses.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Packeagle; 07-16-13 at 05:19.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The Katadyn Mini is a great ultra lightweight filter. It is a ceramic filter that can be easily cleaned which can be a lifesaver in sandy environments. It is not the fastest filter in the world (takes about 2 min to fill a nalgene). If you are looking for fast fill ups take a look at the Katadyn Hiker Pro which can push water super fast but if the filter gets clogged your SOL. All the MSR filters are excellent although on the heavy side.

For fast and light the Sawyer pointONE is also a great option along with the Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter System.

I have the Katadyn Mini, Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Tablets, and a Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter System in my BOB. I have multiple option that are very lightweight as it probably the most important thing you need in your bag of tricks.

Feedback Score

MSR Ceramic Filter

Just my two cents, but my family uses an MSR Ceramic Filter, much like the Mini Pocket filter. We hiked the entire PCT last year, and one element lasted my wife, son, and I the entire trip. In addition, we had used that same element for filtering rain water at our house for a year before the hike. As long as you clean the ceramic element with a toothbrush and not an SOS pad, either the Pocket Filter or the MSR filter will last you a very long time. Both the Pocket filter and the MSR are designed to be field maintainable, which is important. If a filter isn't clogging, it isn't doing its job, so make sure any filter you are looking at allows you to access and clean the element easily. Ceramic elements will also always outlast paper, coffee element type filter elements.

Feedback Score

The hollow fiber filters can be back flushed at high pressure. Should be able to unclog with enough pressure. However, ceramic is tried and true.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Packeagle View Post
    The hollow fiber filters can be back flushed at high pressure. Should be able to unclog with enough pressure. However, ceramic is tried and true.

This is totally depending on your AO. I used a hollow fiber filter in Utah and did all the steps necessary to reduce sediment and it failed within the first day and was not able to continue. I understand that this is a rare occurrence but it is what it is. Thank god I had my MSR ceramic as a backup and we were able to clean it for the rest of the trip.

Feedback Score

What brand and model? I've had issue with fiberglass filters like the HikerPro.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast