Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the best water purifiers?

Feedback Score
    I've had several filters and the really fine sediment in glacial runoff has plugged them up. The ceramic was able to be cleaned and reused. The disposable, pleated filter was not.

This is why I always carry Potable Aqua iodine and taste tablets as a back up. Of course you can always boil it as a back up, but these tablets are inexpensive and lightweight.

Currently I've got a Sawyer gravity feed (and really hope it works well as I haven't tried it out yet).

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Packeagle View Post
    What brand and model? I've had issue with fiberglass filters like the HikerPro.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    It was a PUR HikerPro but the water was not the cleanest. I love the HikerPro, it pushes water like no other - you can fill a nalgene in 45 sec. My only point is 2 is 1, 1 is none.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I've been using the portable ceramic purifiers for about 30 years, and am a fan.

My personal fave is the MSR line, since you can repair them in the field. I started with their stoves, and became a fan of the purifiers for the same reason. If you are several days into a week-long trip and lose the ability to purify water, life becomes more challenging. You can still boil the water, but fuel for that can be an issue.

And it's always a good idea to read up on the difference between a water filter and a water purifier. Most ceramics can remove down to the 0.2 micron size.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I had another thread about salt water but never actually asked....

If you were at a river and didn't know if it was fresh water or salt water, or to what extent it was brackish..... is there some sort of easy test to determine the salt content? When it's safe to filter and drink all you want?

Feedback Score

Re: What are the best water purifiers?

Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    It was a PUR HikerPro but the water was not the cleanest. I love the HikerPro, it pushes water like no other - you can fill a nalgene in 45 sec. My only point is 2 is 1, 1 is none.
    The HikerPro is a good filter, however the filter element is disposable. The hollow fiber filters I'm talking about are the MSR Hyperflow, sawyer line, Platipus clean stream, etc. They are completely different construction than the hiker pro. They are field maintainable in the sense they can be back flushed in the field.

Something to be aware of with the ceramic filters is they can break from a drop or fall. If the ceramic plate breaks/cracks you will be risking contamination.

Feedback Score
    I've had and used the First Need one. I also keep a few different tablets chemical ones. In my Camelback I've got one thare filters to. I carried the First Need in Iraq 03-04 and 08-09.. just in case. A small bottles of iodine in first aid kits will work as back up. Taste like crap though. Add a coffee filter to strain out bugs and dirt help save the water filters. The main water treatment I carry now is Miox that uses sure-fire batteries and salt. As stated above different options and backups. Iodine don't work for some due to allergic reactions. .
    The driver I had in 08
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score

filters vs chemicals

What part of the country are you in?

I have seen a mess of different filters clog before filtering less than a few gallons of water out of cattle tanks, Tenaha’s(sp), seeps, and ephemeral streams.

Filter systems that work like a charm back easy will go down quick with the silt we have in the water out west.

Your mileage may vary but Iodine and bleach are the gold standard out here (AZ/UT/NM).

Remember they make pills that will cure the cooties you get from drinking dirty water. They don’t make pills that will cure dead from dehydration. Drink early and drink often.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Packeagle View Post
    The HikerPro is a good filter, however the filter element is disposable. The hollow fiber filters I'm talking about are the MSR Hyperflow, sawyer line, Platipus clean stream, etc. They are completely different construction than the hiker pro. They are field maintainable in the sense they can be back flushed in the field.

Something to be aware of with the ceramic filters is they can break from a drop or fall. If the ceramic plate breaks/cracks you will be risking contamination.

The hiker pro is the same thing (although an older technology) made out of glassfiber and is field maintainable & can be back flushed in the field. And in my opinion, even though I love MSR, is easier to flush and maintain than the Hyperflow. The Hyperflow is lighter though and filters down to 0.2 microns vs the Hikers 0.3.
    Last edited by themonk; 07-20-13 at 22:16.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What are the best water purifiers?

I do a lot of expedition type canoeing and have been very well served by MSR water pumps for many years. I have several of the Sweet Water model and one of the MiniWorks model. The Sweet Water pumps faster, but the filter doesn't last as long. Even though its slower I really like the MiniWorks for long trips because it is 100% user serviceable in the field with no tools.

Last year my wife and I spent three weeks canoeing in the Yukon Territory with some friends and family. We took 4 Sweet Waters and 2 MiniWorks. By then end only one of the Sweet Waters still worked, but both of the MiniWorks were still going strong. During the trip I was able to take the MiniWorks apart and clean it out and clean the ceramic filter to keep it going. There was a lot of silt and tannins in the water we were pumping and it was hard on our filters.

Whatever system you go with, I highly recommend using a per-filter in anything but crystal clear water. Not just the little screen that keeps rocks out, but an actual filter. It will greatly extend he life of your main filter.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Recently picked up one of the Sawyer's and the few times I have had it out has been great. Far faster and easier than the MSR Sweetwater & Katadyn Mini I have.

The only "issue" I am aware of is damage can occur if the filter freezes which isn't unique to their filter(current Sweetwater is a warranty replace due to following the instructions included with the 1st one I had) and I usually go with Aquamira or boiling when I know the temps will be consistently below freezing after seeing water freeze in a Katadyn Mini line and/or Camelbak tubes on several occasions.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast