Thread: noob questions...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question noob questions...

thanks
    Last edited by PCFIVEZ; 07-29-13 at 09:37.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question

i have never handled a 300AAC round.
    Last edited by PCFIVEZ; 07-29-13 at 09:38.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You MUST match the ammunition to the firearm for safe operation. DO NOT attempt to fire 223 Remington/5.56x45 ammo in a 300 BLK barrel and DO NOT attempt to fire 300 BLK ammo in a 223 Remington or 5.56x45 barrel. The results are likely to be catastrophic.

Whether the 300 BLK is more effective suppressed or not depends on what you want the rifle to do. Really, what I think you're asking is use with supersonic loads compared to suppressed with subsonic loads. Supersonic loads will be louder, suppressed or not, compared to suppressed subsonic loads. Supersonic loads will have a greater effective range
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Both subsonic and supersonic will be loud enough to need hearing protection un-suppressed. Also, NEVER shoot any caliber out of ANY gun that it is not specifically designed for. That's a big NO-NO.

Regarding barrel length:

Barrel lengths and caliber selection are determined by the following factors: weapon weight, maximum required range,
    terminal ballistic requirements, ammunition supply, and vehicular or mission-based length maximums. In my opinion,
    a shooter should try to select the shortest barrel possible to accomplish the given task. Short barrels are very accurate
    because of their relative rigidity compared to a longer barrel of equal diameter. I don’t subscribe to the school that
    thinks short barrels burn powder at differing rates; if that were true, the velocities would differ on the longer barrel
    as well. Also, in most cases, the fastest load out of a short barrel will be the fasted load out of a long barrel. Adding
    barrel length only increases velocity, which translates to increased range. If you have a barrel length maximum, but
    require greater terminal ballistics, choosing a larger round may be a good answer. There are too many anecdotes to
    list here. I like the saying, “Overkill is an oxymoron, there are many levels of wounded, but only one level of dead.”
    Choose what you realistically think you will need, and err on the lighter/smaller side.

—John Noveske

Furthermore, if you plan to hunt, I believe most states legally require at least a 16" barrel, so keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 07-16-13 at 16:13.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question

ok. i just don't know how to go about planning my next build...7.5" or 10.5"?
    Last edited by PCFIVEZ; 07-29-13 at 09:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PCFIVEZ View Post
    ok. i just don't know how to go about planning my next build...7.5" or 10.5"? why would one choose to go the shorter route or vice versa?

i just need opinions to help me weigh in on my decision on length of barrel.

You need to read all the SBR info, try the search method.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'