Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Train with a Steel 5" 9mm, carry an aluminum 4" .45?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Train with a Steel 5" 9mm, carry an aluminum 4" .45?

Wilson's full size 5" CQB is available in 9mm. Their 4" Compact CQB is available with an aluminum frame.

Any thoughts on training/competing with the 5" steel 9mm and carrying the 4" aluminum .45? Assuming, of course, that all parts (safeties, slide stop, mag releases, sights, etc.) are identical and the only differences between the two guns is caliber, frame material and barrel length.

Feedback Score
    The only potential problem I can see with this is the fairly significant difference in recoil impulse, though that doesn't appear to be a problem for people who train using .22LR conversions for their weapons.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Is your idea to focus on a single platform for greater consistency between training/competition/carry?

If the grip/trigger pull is identical. I think that it's NOT an entirely terrible idea (actually it's a damn good one). If consistency is the key to accuracy there is a lot of wisdom in keeping your grip and trigger pull the same no matter what.

That being said if you are going to be shooting other platforms anyway I doubt the same value will be there. Recoil will also be different.

For myself I can't commit to a single platform. Despite trying a myriad of firearms and calibers, I keep coming back to the Glock in 9mm and the 1911 in .45. More and more I'm convinced that I should focus on those two. I will try and shoot other guns (I still need to try the M&P), but short of something dramatic, I'll probably stick with that.

ToddG Guest
    The difference in recoil and muzzle rise is going to be significant. It will all come down to how much you practice with each.

If you practice primarily with your light .45, odds are you'll be able to shoot the heavy 9mm without any effort. But if you shoot primarily with your heavy 9mm, the light .45 is going to feel pretty whippy. Most people get lazy with their recoil control technique when shooting 9mm (I know I do) and it takes a little remediation to get back into the swing with heavier caliber guns.

From a practical standpoint it probably won't matter enough to worry about, and trigger time is trigger time. So if you really want to carry a .45 but want to compete with a 9mm, at least you're staying with a single operating system for commonality of training.

(and speaking of .22 kits, while they certainly have their place in this age of monstrously expensive ammunition they are not useful for practicing anything related to speed specifically because the recoil and flip are non-existent.)

Feedback Score
    I've run a 5" steel 1911 for duty and a 5" lightweight 1911 off-duty, this maximizes commonality of training and accessories. The shorter barrel 1911's can certainly work, but there are always compromises because of the increased slide velocity. I won't run a 1911 format in anything but .45 ACP. If you want a 9 mm, shoot a Glock or Hi-Power.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I won't run a 1911 format in anything but .45 ACP. If you want a 9 mm, shoot a Glock or Hi-Power.
    Is this based on practical reasons or just nostalgia? If the gun runs, then the gun runs, and if it's just a training/competition gun then even the occasional bobble (let's say even 10 malfunctions in 1k rounds) would hardly be anything more than a training opportunity.

I'm also a big fan of commonality. I don't get a chance to shoot enough when shooting just one platform, let alone trying to switch between a .45 1911 and a 9mm Glock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The commander size 1911 makes no sense to me.

I would take another inch of sight radius and increased reliability. The grip is the hard part to conceal, so if you are using the same frame why not get the benefits of a full size gun?

I'm not opposed to aluminum frames for carry guns, or even a decent 9MM 1911 for training (.45 is freakin high these days), but I like a full size gun if you're using full size frame anyhow.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I find that extra inch to be a major pain in the ass (literally) when I spend the majority of my day chained to a desk. It's not about concealment, it's about comfort. If given the choice between sitting on a lump of steel all day or not carrying, I just won't carry. My back can't take it. So, 4" barrel or no gun? I'll opt for 4".

Also, FWIW, the Compact CQB is also a shortened grip, making it that much easier to conceal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Any reason you don't want an aluminum frame on the compact?

Wilson offers the Protector with an alloy frame, it's fairly similar to the CQB but lighter.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    Any reason you don't want an aluminum frame on the compact?

Wilson offers the Protector with an alloy frame, it's fairly similar to the CQB but lighter.
    From the thread title:
    Train with a Steel 5" 9mm, carry an aluminum 4" .45
    The CQB Compact is available, at least according to Wilson's site, with an aluminum frame.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast