Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Train with a Steel 5" 9mm, carry an aluminum 4" .45?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Whoops, I see it on their site now.

This threw me off:

Some of the features of this handgun include:

All carbon-steel construction

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    Whoops, I read that backwards.
    No worries, I don't think you're the only one. I posted this to an email list I belong to and got the same reply a couple of times.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    ...Most people get lazy with their recoil control technique when shooting 9mm (I know I do) and it takes a little remediation to get back into the swing with heavier caliber guns...
    hey, that's me! It's almost as if Todd was watching me suck bad during a recent range visit

I have two Colt combat commanders with similar setups (one 9mm and one 45acp) and was shocked at how my technique atrophied with the 45 as I rarely take it to the range.

The felt recoil between my steel framed commanders is very noticeable, and I would think the difference between a 5" steel 9mm and 4" alum 45 would be much worse.

rob_s, can you get the alum framed compact in 9mm?

Feedback Score
    Back in 2005 I decided I couldn't afford to keep shooting matches with .45ACP all the time, so I acquired a 1911A1 in 9mm. As of this afternoon, it has 17,776 rounds through it. The savings in ammo costs (9mm 115gr FMJ factory vs. .45ACP 230gr FMJ factory) is left to the reader to calculate.

Along the way, I started using it for classes as well. It has served admirably in that role as well.

Sure, recoil is non-existent, but if you allow your front sight to dictate the pace at which you shoot, it's not a big deal swithcing to .45ACP. I shot a match the first Sunday with my .45, and I did fine. Accuracy was as good as with shooting my 9mm if not better, and speed was a wash because you have to slow down a little to ensure "A" hits with the minor power factor 9mm in USPSA matches, whereas the .45 takes a little while longer to cycle and for the front sight to lower.

Shoot the 9mm for most of your stuff and you'll be happy with the $$$ savings. The hard part about shooting is consistent trigger control, not managing recoil, so you're going to get the practice you need anyway. If you shoot your .45 occasionlly, you'll maintain your confidence in yout ability to shoot your carry gun.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    The hard part about shooting is consistent trigger control, not managing recoil, so you're going to get the practice you need anyway.
    Actually, equal to trigger manipulation is recoil control. As many people make mistakes due to anticipating or over-compensating for recoil as you'll see jerking a trigger. For someone who's properly tracking his sights it shouldn't make much difference but if under stress your cadence is being dictated by feel rather than sight ...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    hey rob....i have been reading here for long enough to know that you have waged the personal war of 1911 vs. glock for a long time...so I will only beat the dead horse for a second....i love the 1911 platform too...and finally have just thrown up the white flag and gone predominantly to the G19 as a carry platform....

knowing thats not what you want to hear...

why not get wilson to make you a 9mm carry gun? and just forego the .45 altogether?

the terminal ballistics of good, high quality 9mm personal defense ammunition is comprable to their .45 counterparts (look at the data on bonded ammo like speer gold dot 124 gr +p and 147 gr, as well as the winchester ranger 147 gr...)....compared with 230 gr JHP expansion and penetration is very similar (in fact, winchester has a great tool where you can compare them)....

since you want to use the 1911, why not just go all 9mm 1911s? the ammo is cheaper, that way you would be training with similar trigger pull, recoil, everything....

just a thought...i know they would do it...gun store near me had a bobtailed wilson 9mm commander for a while in....wasnt lightweight...but just an idea the owner had that might sell, and it did....

either way, good luck!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Is this based on practical reasons or just nostalgia?
    If I remember correctly, there have been a few attempts at 1911s in 9mm, but I don't believe any of them were especially reliable or successful.

I believe DocGKR's advice is based on the general rule that 5" 1911's in .45 ACP tend to be the most reliable 1911 configuration available.

Feedback Score
    "I find that extra inch to be a major pain in the ass (literally) when I spend the majority of my day chained to a desk. It's not about concealment, it's about comfort. If given the choice between sitting on a lump of steel all day or not carrying, I just won't carry. My back can't take it. So, 4" barrel or no gun? I'll opt for 4"."
    Sounds like a real good situation to carry a G19...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Sounds like a real good situation to carry a G19...
    Other than the length of the slide, I find it easier to conceal the slimmer 5" 1911 than a Glock 26. I'm 6' tall and 175 lbs, and the thicker Glocks stick out like a goiter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rob,
    What holster(s) are you using?
    Aubrey<><

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast