Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In search of a non-slippery corrosion protectant

Feedback Score
    To everyone recommending a lube, well, that simply isn't going to work, as it will do EXACTLY what the op doesn't want (it will be slippery and a slippery M4 is a bad M4). As I've noted, even some rust preventatives like Boeshield will be too slippery.
    Op, sorry for the delay, as I had to get down in my shop to confirm the name of the product, but what you want to use is a product called "Rust Prevent" by Shooters Choice. It works, it lasts, and I have confirmed it will harm nothing on your firearm. Safe for polymers, plastics, etc, including all firearm finishes, and best of all, it is NOT slippery.
    Anyone willing to shoot me their email and post up a pic for me which I took of the can?? It's a great pic, but I cannot post pics from my mobile. Anyone? I just need an email to send to as I can't attach pics via indirect emails thru the forum...
    Last edited by Razorhunter; 07-20-13 at 13:19.
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    Oh, one more product to consider, that most of you fellow military types will recognize is Sentry Solutions "Tuf-Glide". It's a dry protectant, which goes on wet, and dries shortly after, leaving behind a corrosion inhibitor. However, IIRC, the drying agent that evaporates is mineral spirits, so not site what it may harm on certain firearm finishes.
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Breakfree Collector.
    Been using it for years, seems to work well. No mineral oil, supposedly safe for synthetics. Once dry, I wipe off excess and its not very slippery.

Mark

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorhunter View Post
    No offense, but I've used Boeshield T-9 for years, and the one way to describe it, is SLIPPERY AND SLICK. Geezus, and you wonder how bad information gets dispersed over the internet. It's one thing to make an honest mistake with complicated subjects, and possibly give some incorrect info, but how on earth man can you sit here and tell this guy Boeshield isn't slippery? I suppose now you will play the "I somehow didn't fully read the first sentence of his post" card on us.

Sorry man, I'm not trying to beat you up, but it doesn't get much worse than this when it comes to blatantly giving out bad info.
    T-9 is not slippery at all if used correctly for corrosion protection of metal. It is really simple... Spray on and wipe off! GH

Feedback Score
    My vote goes to Amsoil HD. It has a waxy feel to it after it dries, but it is not really slippery. As to its corrosion resistance, I did a "test" on April 7 13. The HD is on the right side of the angle iron ("0" weight grease is on the left) these have been outside since 4/7/13.

pic taken today:

It is the can on the left:

Feedback Score
    I second the break free collector.

Not greasy or slippery and I keep a cloth damp with it in a ziplock bag on the bench for a final wipe.

Won't harm wood or synthetics.

Works real nice on blued weapons.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Rhino line it.

Feedback Score
    Thank you to everyone who replied. I looked at a bunch of reviews of the Boeshield T-9, they all seemed very positive and most mentioned that it was not slippery... It was looking really promising until I saw Razorhunter's comment. Does anyone else have any experience with it?

I found this not-so-scientific test of several of the products that have been recommended, including Shooters Choice Rust Prevent. Unfortunately the Rust Prevent didn't prevent rust very well in the test...

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

As for the remaining recommendations, although I have not personally used any of them, from what I've been able to find on the internet none of them really strike me as quite what I'm looking for. Eezox seems to have just as good of a reputation as a lubricant as it does as a rust inhibitor, and I'm specifically looking for something non-slippery. Otherwise, of all the recommended products, it seems to rank very high in the rust protection department. Break Free CLP and Break Free Collector are in a similar boat - great reputation for rust prevention it seems, but also a good reputation as a lubricant (hence "clean, lube, protect"). That's not really what I'm looking for.

I couldn't really find much on Amsoil MP HD, other than that it is also said to work well as a penetrant, and I'm a little leery of using penetrants on firearms. Sentry Solutions Tuf-Glide looks promising, but I haven't been able to find much info on it.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutchris View Post
    Rhino line it.
    I did that to the rocker panels on my last car, lol. Trying to be a little less noticeable on my rifle.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    T9 has not been slippery in my experience.
    What about automotive wax, for shiny surfaces?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would try weapon shield oil. In several tests including one found on this site it was tops at corrosion protection.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast