Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best single action sixgun Peacemaker clone?

Feedback Score

USFA all the way. This is a .45 Colt with Ivories. Also have a .38 Spcl Rodeo model and it's probably THE bargain out there if you want an authentic Colt clone with high Quality.

As previously mentioned...Stay away from the cheapo clones.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had to send back my USFA Rodeo twice, that being said they have GREAT customer service! I was having problem again and the head of there repair department had me call him at his home number after hours ( 8:00pm pacific time!!) to help me trouble shoot my gun! He totally went above and beyond to help me out ... turned out to be a trigger/bolt spring that looked good but had lost tension.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Colt still makes new SAAs but they don't make a lot of them so they can be hard to find. I don't know if USFA is still making any or not. I agree that the USFA Rodeo is probably your best deal for a quality SAA unless you can find a Colt at a bargain price.

You can always get a Vaquero and have some of the Ron Power parts installed so it has a half-cock notch and loads like a Colt.

Feedback Score
    USFA is out of the revolver business as far as I can tell. Parts and service will dry up -- if they haven't already. This is also probably why Turnbull can no longer offer the "open range" guns. USFAs are nice guns, but for the prices they are now commanding, I would by a new Colt SAA. The Colt's have plenty of parts available in the aftermarket and the factory is still in business for customer support.

If you want four clicks and coil springs, get an Old Model Blackhawk -- readily available on the used market. Find one that has not been converted with the transfer bar "upgrade" and you will be good to go.

In 357, the frame size is smaller in the OM Blackhawks and very similar to the Colt. If you can find a clean flattop, the grip frame feels identical to my hand. The OM Blackhawks also have an aluminum grip frame and ejector rod housing, a lot of folks don't like this, but it makes the gun much lighter for carry. An OM Blackhawk makes for a great packing gun. Best of luck.

Feedback Score
    Ruger New Vaquero (if you don't want to buy a Colt SAA).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Ruger Single Action is the most rugged and durable of them all

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    ...The thing I don't like about the Ruger Vaquero is that it doesn't load like the Colt. I'm used to the loading notch on the hammer rather than just opening the loading gate to load the gun. THAT much authenticity I'd rather have...
    The original Ruger Vaquero, being based on the Blackhawk frame, is larger than the Colt SAA and is much stronger. Many Cowboy shooters prefer the smaller and lighter Colt size handguns so Ruger has scaled down the Vaquero to match. It's not as strong as the original Blackhawk frame but it is lighter and will fit in holstered made for the Colt and Colt clones.

I have the larger Vaquero and I like it very much. The adjustable sights of the Blackhawk are more practical but I've never cared for the looks. I like the more traditional sights and that's why I got a case hardened 5 1/2" Vaquero in 45 Colt. I didn't get it for Cowboy Shooting, I got it for use with hunting loads to carry it in the field. The Colt and clones are not made for a steady diet of heavy loads. I don't like how it loads, nor how it cocks. It feels awkward. Someday, when I quit spending money on "Black Rifles" I'll get the Power Custom Half Cock Trigger & Hammer

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...-prod9845.aspx

If you want to combine the ruggedness of a Ruger with a traditional half cock hammer & loading, this is the way to get it
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    These guys do great custom packages on vaqueros and others
    http://www.longhunt.com/

I really like their 3.5" one!

Feedback Score
    Depending on just how "authentic" you are looking for I don't have a lot of suggestions beyond those offered here for the various high quality clones like the USFA, or an actual Colt SAA.

If you are looking for something more shootable and field worthy with adjustable sights, you might also look at the new Colt New Frontier.

I myself am very partial to the only revolver I own, which is a Freedom Arms, albeit in a larger than SAA frame with a 5 shot cylinder. Actually I have two cylinders, one in .454 Casull and the other in .45ACP. At any rate Freedom Arms makes excellent revolvers, and the guns are very very very tightly fitted and precise. They offer both fixed or adjustable sights. Mine is a Model 83, which is their large frame revolver, and they also offer the Model 97 which is a medium frame that is roughly the size of a SAA maybe just a hair smaller. The Model 97 can be had in .357 Magnum with a 6 shot cylinder; however larger calibers like .41 Magnum, .44 Special, and .45 Colt all use a 5 shot cylinder.

All of their guns come with test targets, and if mine is any indication they will live up to their test target if you can do your part. I use mine a lot and it is becoming my favorite handgun because it is so easy to hit with and it is very versatile. I recently mounted a Trijicon RMR on top of it on a custom Freedom Arms mount, and I've been playing with that combo for awhile. It's nice to have the option to add optics easily if you desire and Freedom Arms offers this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    USFA went tits up.

You can get parts here: http://tenring.com/firearms-single-actions/

Feedback Score
    Yep, USFA is no longer in the cowboy gun market.... sucks I wanted to get an OMNI pretty bad.

Picked up an unfired (well it was till I got it ) 1985 Colt SAA New Frontier and the quality is awesome, though some have said that the quality has gone down from the 1st and 2nd gen SAA's.

You wont be disappointed going with the venerable Colt.
    We get it, you're a HSLD operator who knows what's what and wants everyone else to know that you know that we know that you know what's up. ~ elricfate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast