Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.8bbl: PSA SS 18" or Bison 18"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

6.8bbl: PSA SS 18" or Bison 18"

Looking for some input here. I've done some looking around and was going to post on 68forum but I am in a time crunch. I'm wanting to build a 18" 6.8 on one of my spare lowers. Main uses will be range time, and hunting (deer, coyotes, possibly hogs). I originally was just planning on getting the bison 18" SPR barrel in SS as I've done some research and heard nothing but great things about them and seem to be great shooters. PSA threw a wrench in my plan because the are having a sale right now for a complete 6.8 upper (w/o bcg and ch) with a 18" SS barrel for $369. To further mess with my plans I've read that the PSA barrel weights 1.4lbs, while the bison weights 2.4lbs. I would love the weight savings, but I am wanting to know if anyone here can comment on the PSA offering. While it's not going to be a precision rig, I would prefer to be able to shoot MOA or better with hand loads and I'm planning on putting a vortex viper pst 2.5-10 on top of it.

Basically what I'm getting at- is the PSA an MOA barrel? And am I a whiny girl for wanting a barrel that weights 1lb less?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmnielsen View Post
    Looking for some input here. I've done some looking around and was going to post on 68forum but I am in a time crunch. I'm wanting to build a 18" 6.8 on one of my spare lowers. Main uses will be range time, and hunting (deer, coyotes, possibly hogs). I originally was just planning on getting the bison 18" SPR barrel in SS as I've done some research and heard nothing but great things about them and seem to be great shooters. PSA threw a wrench in my plan because the are having a sale right now for a complete 6.8 upper (w/o bcg and ch) with a 18" SS barrel for $369. To further mess with my plans I've read that the PSA barrel weights 1.4lbs, while the bison weights 2.4lbs. I would love the weight savings, but I am wanting to know if anyone here can comment on the PSA offering. While it's not going to be a precision rig, I would prefer to be able to shoot MOA or better with hand loads and I'm planning on putting a vortex viper pst 2.5-10 on top of it.

Basically what I'm getting at- is the PSA an MOA barrel? And am I a whiny girl for wanting a barrel that weights 1lb less?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html
    My cousin has the PSA 18" 6.8. He only runs factory fodder in it (Remington and SSA), but so far he hasn't achieved MOA groups. More on the order of 1.5 MOA. For the price it's pretty tough to beat, but I'm still leaning towards the Bison offering myself.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    1.5 MOA is what I've been reading most places when shooting factory stuff with the PSA. I'll do some more looking, if anyone else has info that'd be great.

Feedback Score
    Bison seems a lot more popular with the guys at 68forum, as well as ARP (who is out of stock). But it's hard to argue with PSA's pricing. The specs look right, and you don't need a super match barrel for taking to the field for hunting.

Why do you want 18" though? Not that you're wrong (I was leaning the same way for a 6.8 SPR), but Doc and the guys that came up with the 6.8 all say that anything longer than 16" is wasted in the 6.8 cartridge. I would think that 16" makes even more sense for hunting, where the shorter length and lighter weight make for better carrying.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

6.8bbl: PSA SS 18" or Bison 18"

Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Bison seems a lot more popular with the guys at 68forum, as well as ARP (who is out of stock). But it's hard to argue with PSA's pricing. The specs look right, and you don't need a super match barrel for taking to the field for hunting.

Why do you want 18" though? Not that you're wrong (I was leaning the same way for a 6.8 SPR), but Doc and the guys that came up with the 6.8 all say that anything longer than 16" is wasted in the 6.8 cartridge. I would think that 16" makes even more sense for hunting, where the shorter length and lighter weight make for better carrying.
    I think I am just going to go with the bison. I can put up with the extra weight, especially considering it is known for performing great. As to why I want an 18" I'm not too sure. Partly because I wanted to build an SPR type rifle, and partly because I wanted to mix things up because I've already got a couple 16" 5.56 AR's. So I suppose I'm not dead set on the 18" and now that I know I'm sticking with the bison I've got some time to debate what I'm going to go for.

Feedback Score
    I'm in the same boat. I've been trying to justify to myself why I should go with a 18" 6.8 instead of the normal 16".

I also want to do a heavier hitting SPR for hunting and some steel shooting. I was figuring the little bit of extra FPS the 18" gives is better for it. But then I just kept coming back to a longer barreled 5.56 for target shooting, and my three .308s (M1A, .308 AR in works, and a bolt gun) for hunting and heavier hitting power at range.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    First, let me say that I definitely suffer from BRD. That being said, I have 3 6.8 rifles. One is an ARP 16" upper on a BCM lower. As to be expected from ARP, it's a tack-driver. The only reason it's not sub MOA is because I'm not. As a backup and to give the boys something to shoot for hog hunting, I have 2 PSA rifles, 1 18" and 1 16". They are different lengths because that was what was available at the time each was purchased. I haven't notice much difference between those two, but the 16" is definitely easier to handle. As mentioned above, with a decent scope, they are both about 1.5 MOA. In their role as budget hog-hunters, that is more than accurate enough.

I'm not sure why the Bison specs out 71% heavier, but if weight is that much of a worry, I would definitely get a 16" barrel, as that would make a nice weight reduction from the start with little downside in accuracy or muzzle velocity.
    Colt SP6920, LE6920, 6720
    BCM Lower/ARP 6.8SPC upper for hog hunting
    DD M4V5 clone, Troy 5.56 Carbine, S&W M&P10
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 16" middie CHF upper
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 14.5" middie upper
    2 PSA 18"6.8 rifles, PSA 20" M16A4 clone
    Remington 870, Remington 700VTR
    SA XDm9, XDm9C, , XD9SC S&W 1911
    Ruger GP100, Hawkeye77 Compact 6.8SPC
    Kel-Tec KSG, Marlin 336 30-30, HK 45C, VP9
    Sig 1911 Tacops, Scorpion 1911, M11A1, P226 Mk25

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Bison SPR is a very heavy profile.

The PSA is a very light profile, similar to "M4".

Bison does offer a medium profile 16" Recon 6.8 SPC Stainless that weighs 1.9lbs and is available with a Pinned Gas Block.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I have had several 16 and 18" 6.8s

FWIW, I have settled on 16" since the 6.8 is such an efficient cartridge..

Bison, AAP, Wilson Combat all make good barrels..
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ben from Bison is awesome, those ARP guys aren't too bad themselves . Either/or can't go wrong. I would suggest a 16in'er, I wanna say only 50fps is gained with 18. I got bison 18SPR and kinda wished had gone shorter. 6.8 really is a bad-ass round that isn't dependent on barrel length. Just my exp&opinion, I'm sure someone with more accurate info and experience will chime in...
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast