Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P10 Optics?

Feedback Score

M&P10 Optics?

Hello-

I just ordered a M&P 10, and am in need of optics suggestions. I did a search and didn't find anything previously posted, so please excuse if this is a redundant thread.

The primary use will be for deer hunting within 300 yards or so. I would like it to double as a home defense weapon as well, which makes finding appropriate optics a bit more challenging. My absolute ceiling would be $1300, but would like to save as much $ as possible.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Feedback Score
    For my AR308 I'm about to buy a Bushnell Elite Tactical ESR 3.5-21x50 with a G2DMR Reticle for $1500.

The step right below that is the Bushnell Elite Tactical HDMR 3.5-21x50 with a G2 is $1100. The major difference and maybe the only difference is the ESR has Zero Stops and the HDMR does not.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lts...H1JcbQ&index=5

Before deciding on the ESR I was considering the SWFA SS 3-15x42 which is $700
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6tL...H1JcbQ&index=4

However as a disclaimer this will be my first high dollar scope and all I can use for reference is the experience of others.

Feedback Score
    Wrong forum, check optics.

That said, for a .308 inside 300 yards isn't going to require much (if any) drop adjustment.

My top picks would be:

SWFA 1-6 illuminated FFP
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-1-6x24-Ta...pe-P53845.aspx

Trijicon TR24 (email/call this guy and he may be able to work an even better deal with you)
    http://libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/p45.html

Pick your choice and get a mount from Larue, ADM, or Bobro. You will be set.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I recently purchased a new optic for my 308 AR, it is a Weaver Tactical 2-10x36. It is FFP, illuminated reticle, w/locking target turrets. Overall I am VERY happy with it. It is quite good both mechanically and optically, with a simple easy to use reticle. In addition, it seems very sturdy and the turrets have a nice positive feel and locking mechanism. For comparison sake, I have a TR24, the Weaver is of similar glass quality. And, it was only $620 shipped from Midway.

For a hunting scenario the illumination is very useful and I will be deer hunting with it this year.

The other posters are also right on for other choices. The TR24, Leupold VX-6 1-6x, Weaver Tactical 1-5x and Vortex PST 1-4x are also outstanding choices too, with personal preference for reticle and illumination being the driving factor.

Edit: In terms of quality, many of these scopes seem to come out of the same factory. In fact, the turrets of the TR24 appear virtually identical to those of the Weaver 1-5x. This is not a slam either as they have excellent tactile feel and hold zero well.
    Last edited by mic2377; 07-26-13 at 19:30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For deer hunting, a Leupold 3.5x10 3x9 or 2x7 would be an excellent choice. Low enough magnification have good field of view if you jump your prey at close range, enough clarity and magnification for use out to ethical ranges. They are also a lot of optic for the money.

For in your face HD ranges, they'll be a bit much. You could spend a bundle on a short dot style optic. Or, you could buy something like a Leupold Mark AR and an Aimpoint H1, both in a quick release mount and come in under your budget and giving you good flexibility with the sights
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    A good 3-9x42ish scope with offset irons would serve you well. Its workable for home defense, but definitely geared more towards field use.

It's also hard to beat what you get from SWFA's 3-9 FFP scope for $599. There's also the new 3-15 that has been creating quite the buzz.

Another good option that has been very popular for the AR-15 SPR/Recce crowd is the new Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP. I've had one on order since April, but that's more because I like dealing with the same guy for optics. I've seen them in stock at cameralandny.com. I honestly think it would be hard to go wrong with that option, and its $799 MAP.

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score

M&P10 Optics?

Thank you all very much for the information and the responses. This has me off to a great start. Should I also be looking at acogs, or would that be limiting?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have looked at ACOGs when I first got started getting serious about learning ARs but I've never used one. ACOGs have a reputation for being rugged scopes with good optics. I didn't like the short eye relief of the smaller ACOGs because I'm used to rifles with heavier recoil. They also seemed less forgiving of eye placement than the Leupolds I'm more used to.

I don't think an ACOG would be a bad choice, but it's my opinion that a scope like the 3.5x10x42 Leupold is more versatile for hunting. When I can afford it, I plan to mount a Nightforce 2.5x10x33 on my M&P-10 as it's primary use will be for hunting. For house defense, I have a 5.56 AR carbine with an H1 Aimpoint. If I were to use the M7P-10 for hunting and HD, I'd simply swap between the two optics as needed
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-27-13 at 17:57.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clawdaddy56 View Post
    Thank you all very much for the information and the responses. This has me off to a great start. Should I also be looking at acogs, or would that be limiting?
    ACOGs are good optics, but I don't think they are ideal for your uses. They are relatively light, when compared to full size scopes, and very very rugged. They would actually make good hunting scopes for inside 300 yards.

If you want to go the ACOG route, make sure you get one with plenty of eye relief (I would suggest the TA-11 series). The TA31 series has notoriously short eye relief, and getting that close to the scope on a .308 may end up being problematic.

I only have two issues with the ACOG for your stated uses:

1. Cost. They are outside your budget, hard to get around that.

2. Not ideal for inside your home self defense. The most likely self defense scenario plays out in hours of darkness in close quarters. Those are the two biggest shortcomings of the ACOG line.

IMO, your best bet is one of the illuminated low power variables with a bottom end of 1x. Second best bet is one of the other magnification ranges (3-9, 2.5-10, etc) with secondary sights that can be used in the dark.

Honestly, the best route would be to forget using the .308 AR as a home defense gun. It's going to be big, heavy, extremely loud, and will likely way overpenetrate. I would use the .308 gun for hunting and target shooting, and then leave home defense duties to an AR-15 or handgun that you can practice a lot with.

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast