Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GLOCK 17 or M&P 9

Feedback Score
    for what it's worth, in pistols I've only shot my custom .45 seriously and played around shooting friends' pistols that they have brought over (glocks, s&w revolver, colt revolver, ruger semi auto, ruger cobwboy.) I wanted a 9mm and never really enjoyed the glock vs. my colt or the ruger vs. my colt for the way they feel in the hand and their natural pointablility vs. the 1911 i'm used to. I held the m&p in the store and figured that it felt pretty good and seemed natural on the dry firing. Everybody had raved about it so I purchased one and brought it home. For me, and many of my friends, it is a natural pointer to shoot with. It's completely different from my 1911 but it goes to target and returns to target naturally in it's own way. We had a large group shooting the day before easter this year and the gun everybody kept wanting to shoot was that m&p. I've enjoyed the purchase and bought a second to send to Dan Burwell to do some work on and see how good it can be. I would recommend the m&p9 as a firearm. I would not consider it "better" or "more reliable" than a glock, but would recommend it as a good pistol on it's own merits.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    RD62 - As far as connectors go I only have experience with the Glock OEM connectors and the Lone Wolf #3.5 connector. If you use Glock connectors and trigger springs, like the #3.5 connector and NY1 (olive) trigger you will not have issues with reliability. They are standard Glock manufactured parts so don't worry. In addition I would also trust the Lone Wolf connectors. Lone Wolf really has their shit together and their connectors, guide rods, barrels have all been excellent in my experience.

If I couldn't have Glock #3.5 my second choice would be a LW connector.

Stay away from the race or gaming connectors for carry/defense use.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    RD62 - As far as connectors go I only have experience with the Glock OEM connectors and the Lone Wolf #3.5 connector. If you use Glock connectors and trigger springs, like the #3.5 connector and NY1 (olive) trigger you will not have issues with reliability. They are standard Glock manufactured parts so don't worry. In addition I would also trust the Lone Wolf connectors. Lone Wolf really has their shit together and their connectors, guide rods, barrels have all been excellent in my experience.

If I couldn't have Glock #3.5 my second choice would be a LW connector.

Stay away from the race or gaming connectors for carry/defense use.
    Thanks. More than likely I'll leave it as is, but had seen the Lone Wolf stuff, and hadn't really heard anything one way or another.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RD62 View Post
    Someone mentioned the drop in connectors that allow different pull weights, etc in the GLOCK. Do they have any negative effects on reliability or is the reliability inherit in the design? Any brands or combos to stay away from? I've never had an issue with the GLOCK's pull weight but its significant take-up and over-travel I could certainly live without.
    -RD62
    I run LW 3.5# connectors in all of my Glocks. I've never had any problems with any of them.

Unfortunately, to reduce the take-up/reset on a Glock requires modifications that aren't really a good idea on a carry/HD gun. I ran a Ghost Rocket in my G34 IDPA gun, for about 4 years (3,000 rounds or so) with no issues.

I'm now using the LW trigger stop in that gun....

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Hey guys,

Looking for y'all to share your experiences with these two platforms with me. Or I guess really, if either has a significant advantage over the other I am missing.

I am in the market for a new full-size 9mm pistol. I am familiar with the GLOCK. I have carried both a 22 and 27 on-duty and off. I am comfortable and accurate with them (+1). I plan to rent one of each this weekend and shoot them side by side in comparison. One the surface they appear to be fairly equal in dimension, weight, capacity, handling and operation. They are fairly comparably priced, with the M&P being slightly more $$$ before the rebate and roughly equal after (although +2 mags). There definately seems to be a larger aftermarket for the GLOCK, although the extent of any upgrades probably being sights, extended mag release and maybe a Crimson-trace laser. I know the M&P has interchangeable backstraps but I haven't had a problem with the grip of the GLOCK before.

For those who have or have had both which do you prefer and why and am I overlooking anything?

Thanks!

-RD62
    I've owned them both, still have the G17. Much better weapon IMO. Nothing wrong with the M&P, the Glock just has better ergos, trigger, magazines etc IMO.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC View Post
    I run LW 3.5# connectors in all of my Glocks. I've never had any problems with any of them.

Unfortunately, to reduce the take-up/reset on a Glock requires modifications that aren't really a good idea on a carry/HD gun. I ran a Ghost Rocket in my G34 IDPA gun, for about 4 years (3,000 rounds or so) with no issues.

I'm now using the LW trigger stop in that gun....
    Kind of what I was afraid of.

I can live with the take-up and over-travel. Thanks!

-RD62

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    as wierd as this sounds....I like the M&P better...the way it feels, the ergonomics, what have you...but with good sights (i prefer warrens) i shoot glocks better....i don't know why this is, I can't explain it....so I use glocks....

and I too like the history of reliability....

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

In a 9 mm, I'd get the G17, as it is a well proven pistol with extensive parts availability.

However, if you want to use a Lasergrip or if you desire a larger caliber like .40 or .45, then the M&P is clearly a better option.

This is exactly the way I've made my selections. I personally don't care for the construction of the M&P mags, but haven't had or seen any problems.

Feedback Score
    Hey guys,

Looking for y'all to share your experiences with these two platforms with me. Or I guess really, if either has a significant advantage over the other I am missing.

I am in the market for a new full-size 9mm pistol. I am familiar with the GLOCK. I have carried both a 22 and 27 on-duty and off. I am comfortable and accurate with them (+1). I plan to rent one of each this weekend and shoot them side by side in comparison. One the surface they appear to be fairly equal in dimension, weight, capacity, handling and operation. They are fairly comparably priced, with the M&P being slightly more $$$ before the rebate and roughly equal after (although +2 mags). There definately seems to be a larger aftermarket for the GLOCK, although the extent of any upgrades probably being sights, extended mag release and maybe a Crimson-trace laser. I know the M&P has interchangeable backstraps but I haven't had a problem with the grip of the GLOCK before.

For those who have or have had both which do you prefer and why and am I overlooking anything?

Thanks!

-RD62
    Based upon the fanfare mostly from this forum I was enthusiastic to try the M&P and compare it to my G19. After 500 or so rounds I found the M&P to be lacking.

Didnt like the Egros. If you want ergos to rave about try a HK P30, and I actually thought the glock felt better in the hand than the M&P

The trigger was horrid. Not on XD level, but no where as good as a Glock out the box

The Low profile slide lock was hard to use during one handed drills with the weak hand

The tang is too long and sharp and got caught under my shirt during a draw from concealment test. This is bad bad bad, and it wasnt evening raining which makes clothes cling even more. The M&P compact shouldnt have this problem, and Glocks obviously dont have this issue

My Vote is G17 and G19 over any M&P any day of the week...
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast