Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New To Family Marlin 45-70

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Joe's photos are infinitely better than this quick and crappy blanket iPhone capture, but I thought it useful to post this anyway to offer a better estimation of scale on the little boomer.

This particular brace includes my younger son's .30-30, which is a 336 Guide Gun -- already a pretty compact rifle in its own right. (Yes, we know that the hammer was left cocked after clearing.)

The one with the wrong-handed, nothing-special butt-cuff is obviously mine. I probably should have flipped it over to showcase the lipstick-sized rounds, but I think you get the general idea. It is a wonderful, if not-always-the-most-practical gun.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice. Thanks for posting these pics.

I can see why you'd get a little smile on your face, AC, when you spot that sitting across the room.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave View Post
    Very nice. Thanks for posting these pics.

I can see why you'd get a little smile on your face, AC, when you spot that sitting across the room.
    I agree completely Montana! That would make me smile for sure.

So I get to shoot my father's 45-70 tomorrow and I can't wait. After the week I had it is much needed.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The good old 45-70...a fine round...one of my all time favorites for bear.

Some things I think about it...loaded to the gills (405 grain slug at over 1,900 fps) it will jar your fillings loose...hits about as hard on one end as it does the other...but I like it!

Hot loaded 405 grain bullets kick the worst...stiff loads with 500+ grain bullets are a bit easier on the shoulder, but not by much.

I prefer 405's for bear hunting...and 350's for reduced loads...and I recommend the reduced loads for HD use....soft recoil, low noise, deadly accurate...and a 350 grain slug at 1,200 fps will cause any bad guy to have a real bad day.

I think these guns are at their best with big chunks of solid lead...and have proven it in the field...big bullets with wide flat noses...you should hear the sound they make when they hit a deer at 200 yards...its kinda like throwing a wet rug over a clothes line and taking a home run swing at it with a boat paddle...this is best experienced when you're not the shooter but are closer to the deer (or bear, or whatever) than the shooter.

Oh...and don't overlook the very simple and very effective peep sights (google Skinner Sights)

Some pics...my bear gun...Marlin 1895 wearing GBL laminated wood.

100 yard accuracy...with Skinner peep sights...I only had 4 rounds loaded, and to be honest...I shoulda stopped at 3....these are 405 grain Beartooth bullets at 1,950 fps....they are ferocious on both ends of the rifle.

The ammo used above....405 grain BTB with 50 grains of H322.

These are reduced loads using bullets I cast myself, Ranch Dog 350's (google Ranch Dog molds.....AWESOME guy)....these have a reduced charge using Unique pistol powder...I forget the exact charge but I can find it on Marlin Owners Forum....I used these for the Postal Match there.

The results...I don't remember now if this was at 50 or 100 yards...either way its a good group...again, using Skinner peep sights...the flier is my fault, and the reason I placed 2nd in the match.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice write up thank you very much.
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    The 45-70 is such a classic round for a lever gun. I bought a Marlin Guide Gun years back and it has served me well. No doubt, loading to super thumper levels can be an eye opener the first time you touch one off. Still love it, just the same...

For those that don't roll your own, or don't have time for load development, and if you aren't opposed to paying a premium price for a premium product, Garrett loads some really serious rounds for hunting. Need something that can go end-to-end on a Cape Buff (or through a truck block...)? Hammerheads in 420 @1850 and 540 @1550, are super hard cast rounds that penetrate like crazy.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570.html

If looking at sighting options, an innovative lever gun smith who's work is worth checking out, is Lew Bonitz at Grizzly Custom. Some of the nicest lever guns I've seen have come from his shop.

http://www.grizzlycustom.com/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    great post with a ton of insight. Been researching lately before I purchase one for deer season. Can't decide between GBL or GG 45-70 but really a versital round. A winner either way I guess. Do like the extra capacity of the GBL though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruddyhair View Post
    great post with a ton of insight. Been researching lately before I purchase one for deer season. Can't decide between GBL or GG 45-70 but really a versital round. A winner either way I guess. Do like the extra capacity of the GBL though.
    I don't know if I would shoot a white tale with this round... Or even a mule deer. Especially if you're looking to save as much meat as possible...

So I shot this gun today and I fell in love. Factory rounds 350 and 405grn. The recoil was not bad and I loved the leopold 2x7 optic. The gun grouped more then acceptable on anything living, the action was fast, and I honestly did not feel like the recoil was punishing enough to prevent accurate follow up shots if need be. My only complaint with my father's gun is that that magazine is short and only holds 4 rounds.

Do they make extension magazines? I would love to have this be a 6 plus one gun.

Someone mentioned taking out a truck block with a hot round... I could see that.

Today was a good day.
    -me

-coworker

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac5.56 View Post
    I don't know if I would shoot a white tale with this round... Or even a mule deer. Especially if you're looking to save as much meat as possible...

So I shot this gun today and I fell in love. Factory rounds 350 and 405grn. The recoil was not bad and I loved the leopold 2x7 optic. The gun grouped more then acceptable on anything living, the action was fast, and I honestly did not feel like the recoil was punishing enough to prevent accurate follow up shots if need be. My only complaint with my father's gun is that that magazine is short and only holds 4 rounds.

Do they make extension magazines? I would love to have this be a 6 plus one gun.

Someone mentioned taking out a truck block with a hot round... I could see that.

Today was a good day.
    loaded down it makes a fine rifle for deer. do a google search and youll have some fun interesting reading. they can even be loaded with bird shot from what ive read. good luck

Feedback Score
    In my Marlin The Beartooth 350gr “Piledriver” with 51.8 of Reloader 7 in WW Brass with Fed 210M primer
    Love that bullet for Moose and Bear !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast