Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Water Bottle/Canteen And Carriage Options?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Hard Water Bottle/Canteen And Carriage Options?

Looking for some options on hard (plastic, metal) water bottles, as well as carriage on gear (shooting loadout, pack).

I love camelback style water bladders- I think they're the next best thing since sharpened steel and gunpowder, BUT I have been doing some reading lately and it has occured to me that maybe they're not quite the be all- end all to water storage in the great outdoors, and maybe I should consider the addition of something more traditional.
    It seems sometimes it can be easier to purify natural water with these, as they can hold hot water (like with a stacked cup ICW the bottle https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=114195), or be boiled in and of themselves if needed. Can't do that with a bladder...

For hard bottles, here are some thoughts and concerns I am having;
    I like the Nalgene type (32 oz, widemouth http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...tle-76p468.htm)- cheap, and from what I've read about as indestructible as a plastic bottle can get. Doesn't hold odors.
    Can get a CapCap (http://www.humangear.com/capcap/) to make use easier, while keeping the widemouth.
    Cons- not very heat resistant, still ****ing (did the swear filter work?) plastic. Maybe not so good in cold weather, being plastic?

The oldschool USGI style canteens are pretty sweet as you can get them with the little metal cup-thingy so you can heat water and stuff.
    Speaking of which, dose anyone have a good source to buy them complete like that, where they're not mauled to death or filled with 300 year old swamp water? USGI stuff makes me leery...
    Dislikes- still plastic, narrow mouth is narrow... sucks for cleaning or inserting stuff. Holds odors[?]. Same other concerns as Nalgene.
    Apparently Nalgene makes one (http://store.nalgene.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=27).
    Seems it's compatible with the USGI canteen cup, so I guess it's about the same size too.

Metal bottles- Have seen some recomendations for Klean Kanteen. Apparently their 40oz (http://www.kleankanteen.com/products...-40oz-wide.php) is about the same size as a Naglene 32oz. Their 27oz. looks interesting as well, as a daily or BB bottle.
    A little more expensive (ok, like 3x more...) than the Nalgene/USGI offerings, BUT if they're that awesome, I'll take em'. AND there's currently a 20% off sale...
    Apparently these can also be boiled by themselves if need be as well.
    Cons- it's metal. Makes loud noises. Freezing in cold weather?

That's what I saw for bottle options that looked interesting, and have carriage options readily avilable.
    Speaking of carriage options;

Want the ability to mount whatever hard bottle I go with to MOLLE.
    Seeing a bit of a trend in this area, and there's 4 options I'm liking;

>Maxpedition 10x4 Bottle Holder (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...lder-7p574.htm)
    >Hazard 4 Jelly Roll (http://hazard4.com/products/accessor...hes/jelly-roll)
    >HSGI Nalgene Pouch (http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI-Nalgene-P...-p/hsg.214.htm)
    >Maxpedition USGI 1Qt Canteen Pouch (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...OUCH-7p999.htm)

Concerns- pouches with rounded backs seem like they'd roll back and forth a lot when full and moving.
    Sagging? Especially if the bottle doesn't fit the pouch exactly, or if all molle loops aren't engaged (like mounted to a battle belt).
    Narrow MALICE attachment points- yay for there being two straps, but so close together, AND with a rounded back on some options? Hmmm....
    Not sure if HSGI option is big enough for 32/40oz. Nalgenen/KK offerings?

Saw HSGI's newest offering their "Soft Taco" that can fit a 32oz. metal bottle. First USGI taco pouch I've liked, and would be good for BB use, BUT the 27/32. oz metal bottles in that style may be to tall, versus a USGI canteen, or standard Nalgene, and again, concerns with rolling/flopping/sagging.
    Considering a USGI for BB use, as it's a little shorter (albeit, wide).

What to do....
    What options are you guys using for bottles and MOLLE attachment that works?

I didn't know whether to put this here or in Tactical gear, so....
    Last edited by Jellybean; 07-30-13 at 19:34.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I go with a Kleen Kanteen and a Maxped bottle holder.

I can boil water if need be, and they are really easy to sterilize and get the moldy funk out of. Too many plastic water bottles turn into science experiments.

For bladders, I use Source, they cost a bit more but stay clean, and I can dump a lot of ice in them. Very handy down here in a Texas summer, or as I refer to it, Satan's Waiting Room.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Hard Water Bottle/Canteen And Carriage Options?

Orig Nalgene wide mouth (milky white) with cap-cap. Glacier SS nesting cup for boiling, in a 5.11 nalgene pouch. (closeout item)

The pouch has some external molle as well, not suitable for mags but ideal for small sheath knife or leatherman, etc.

With some 1 liter platypus bladders to round that out for my working water supply

Won't go into all the details, but these are my new pack/vehicle survival kit. (contents stored in bottle till needed in zip/allocs)

---sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm a fan of Klean Kanteen, and while they are similar in size to the standard Nalgene, they are not the same. The third-party drinking insert for the mouth does not fit. I would stick with the Klean Kanteen coffee lid for drinking, but there is also another third-party one that supposedly works well but I forget the name now.

The Capcap I had leaked so I gave it up.

I've seen a couple others now, but most notably Hydro Flask. It may be worth a look.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I fill my Camel back before a trip but don't store any water in it. I use 32oz Nalgene bottles in addition to a full CB and also an aluminum 24 oz bottle with 3" diameter to heat the water in on this Vargo alcohol stove -

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titaniu...l#.UfkN5aywU8w

with this windscreen, the bottle will fit right down inside on top of the stove and will boil a full bottle of water per stove filling. it's available in either titanium or stainless steel but I have the Ti one as it only weighs 4 oz -

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/hexagon...l#.UfkO8aywU8w
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    For bladders, I use Source, they cost a bit more but stay clean, and I can dump a lot of ice in them. Very handy down here in a Texas summer, or as I refer to it, Satan's Waiting Room.
    Yup- that's what's on the way.

Which KK are you using with the max. bottle pouch? 40oz in the 10x4?

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Orig Nalgene wide mouth (milky white) with cap-cap. Glacier SS nesting cup for boiling, in a 5.11 nalgene pouch. (closeout item)

The pouch has some external molle as well, not suitable for mags but ideal for small sheath knife or leatherman, etc.

With some 1 liter platypus bladders to round that out for my working water supply

Won't go into all the details, but these are my new pack/vehicle survival kit. (contents stored in bottle till needed in zip/allocs)

---sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics
    Yeah, as far as Molle/Pouches on the bottle holders- frankly, I don't really care- I'm not going to be sticking anything to them so, if I could find a low profile one that would seem to work, that wouldbe on the list as well.
    That being said, I'm ok w/ Maxped's extra pocket. I'm sure I'll find something to put in there....

Slightly off topic- how small do those platypus bottle/pouches roll up?
    Can they be used with water purification tablets/liquids?
    Thinking that might make a better addition to a different set of kit than this: http://www.survivalresources.com/Pro...qua_Pouch.html or a condom....

Quote Originally Posted by PlatoCATM View Post
    I'm a fan of Klean Kanteen, and while they are similar in size to the standard Nalgene, they are not the same. The third-party drinking insert for the mouth does not fit. I would stick with the Klean Kanteen coffee lid for drinking, but there is also another third-party one that supposedly works well but I forget the name now.

The Capcap I had leaked so I gave it up.

I've seen a couple others now, but most notably Hydro Flask. It may be worth a look.
    I'm ok with the capcap not fitting the KK stuff- PITA, but not a huge deal. Would be an "immediate add" if I go with a Nalgene though.

Looked at Hydro Flask's website- apparently double wall vacuum insulated- so.... does it actually hold the amount stated, or is it like a thermos where the internal space is much less?
    Or are they just bigger to compensate? Looking at KK's standard Widemouths, versus their Insulated types, the insulated is much taller for a smaller Oz. size. (granted, narrower, but...). Hydro Flask seems a lot taller as well, for their 40oz. Vs. KK's 40.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My two cents. I carry a standard plastic Nalgene and a stainless steel Nalgene while backpacking. The stainless bottle is used for filtering water, either by Steripen or by boiling. The plastic Nalgene only gets treated water and that is what I drink from. Since I dip my stainless bottle in creeks and such to get water for treating, the outside is contaminated so I don't drink directly from it.
    My bottles fit in my backpack so I don't have dedicated holders but I suggest you check out Hill People Gear for a bottle holder. Probably some of the best available. Have a Hazzard Jelly roll, great camera lens case but not very practical for a water bottle.
    http://www.pho-tac.com/
    Capturing the Essence of Tactical Reality

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by photosniper View Post
    My two cents. I carry a standard plastic Nalgene and a stainless steel Nalgene while backpacking. The stainless bottle is used for filtering water, either by Steripen or by boiling. The plastic Nalgene only gets treated water and that is what I drink from. Since I dip my stainless bottle in creeks and such to get water for treating, the outside is contaminated so I don't drink directly from it.
    My bottles fit in my backpack so I don't have dedicated holders but I suggest you check out Hill People Gear for a bottle holder. Probably some of the best available. Have a Hazzard Jelly roll, great camera lens case but not very practical for a water bottle.
    good call on keeping dip bottles separate from drinking bottles (why don't we have a thumbs up smilie???)...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use kleen kanteen bottles as well. They are great.

My EDC bag always has a 20 Oz. insulated KK bottle as well as a 200 Oz. Camel back.

I keep a 40 oz non-insulated KK bottle in every vehicle with an extra cap that has been modified. I spray paint the KK 40 Oz. bottles black and modify the cap so I can utilize the set-up as a solar water distiller. It can also be dropped into the fire to distill water as long as care is taken to protect the lid/tubes used for distilling from the fire/heat.

Can't beat the KK bottles as far as quality is concerned in my opinion. I've carried the first one I got years ago when they first came out every day (Literally every day) and it is beat up from the abuse I have put it through but holding strong.

I also made a foldable nylon bag (2.5 Gallons) for dipping into streams to transport dirty water with so as not to infect my drinking bottles.

The bag has several other uses as well- some I'm sure I have not thought of yet.

I snared a trout in it once out of pure luck and timing when one was swimming close by and the opportunity presented itself.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by photosniper View Post
    If you're boiling, you'd be able to drink from the "dirty" bottle. But that is a good process to use one for "dirty water" and one for clean. If both look the same, then marking them "dirty/clean" would be wise.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast