Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hard Water Bottle/Canteen And Carriage Options?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    JB, have you taken a look at this bottle holder?: http://www.skdtac.com/ITS-Skeletoniz...-p/its.126.htm

I've got one and it works great. It doesn't have space/pouches for other survival items like Maxpedition or others do, but it's very lightweight and holds the bottle secure. You mentioned that you don't like the thought of your bottle flopping around, so I will say that this system allows a little "play" from side to side, but it's really not a big deal in my opinion. YMMV.

Btw...the Platypus bottles would be much better than the plastic bags that you linked. Very lightweight and virtually bombproof...I've got one of the smaller models rolled up in my "pocket survival kit"
    Last edited by Ironman8; 08-01-13 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Yeah, I've seen the ITS holder- it's a little to "skeletonized" for what I want.
    Definitely going to check out Platy. They have some interesting things...

Hard bottle, think I'm going to go with Maxped. holder[s], and just do the "one of each" on the bottles and see what I like.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    Kleen Kanteen and Nalgene for me.

If buying any Nalgene product, it's almost always cheaper to buy it directly from Nalgene as they offer free shipping and lower prices.

http://store.nalgene.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    If you're boiling, you'd be able to drink from the "dirty" bottle. But that is a good process to use one for "dirty water" and one for clean. If both look the same, then marking them "dirty/clean" would be wise.
    absolutely correct, I just prefer not to get into the habit of drinking out of the stainless bottle so I don't screw up and drink untreated water.
    One think I forgot to add is that on extended backpacking trips I always carry an empty camelbak bladder (or the like) for times when water is scarce or it gets especially hot. The empty bladder weighs next to nothing and takes up little space but offers 1.5 or 3L extra carry capacity if needed. Am going to experiment with the Vapur line of bottles too.
    http://www.pho-tac.com/
    Capturing the Essence of Tactical Reality

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    At work/Gym: Kleen Kanteen 40oz

Backpcking:
    1 Camelbak/Source 100L bladder,
    1 Nalgene to boil if needed (walter filter attched directly to it)
    1 MSR Dromedary (6L) For use back at camp "cooking"
    1 metal cup (used as plate and could boil water over coals)
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I tend to do a mix and match. Water bladder and hard bottle. I haven't used the Kleen Kanteen so I can't speak to the use.

But what I have found is carrying a small pot to heat water like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/708071/sn...m-trek-700-mug

It nests under my Nalgene bottle inside of a Camelbak pouch:

http://shop.camelbak.com/camelbak-bo...d/1180_cl_1308

But the Maxpedition 10x4 works pretty good as well. Actually, might work a bit better since the cup is harder to get out of the Camelbak pouch than the Maxpedition. And the spare pouch on the outside gives you room for purification or an Esbit stove if you carry one.

And for the Nalgene bottle, I'd suggest using the splash guard instead of the larger mouth:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80939

Simple, cheap and works like a champ. Been using one for a few years now and zero problems.

I'm a huge fan of nesting cups and bottles. I used to use a standard GI canteen and cup, but ounces are pounds and the cup is stainless IIRC. But no doubt about it, it's darn near impossible to break one without driving over it with a car. But overall with the measuring index points on a Nalgene bottle, I found it easier to measure water for freeze dried meals rather than guesswork.

Also, if I'm out and about, I find it easier to filter water into the bottle or canteen and transfer it over to the bladder, so I carry both. I've tried the filtration into the bladder and it's neither easy or fun. Plus the bottle is a good pre-measured item for purification tabs if you use them. Fill the bottle and drop in the tab if you're on the move.

Almost comes down to choice. For me when it comes to utility, I find the Nalgene style with a nested cooking cup is hard to beat.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    The really nice thing about a Camel type is being able to drink when moving. Once I tried one back packing I was sold. I carry a hard bottle as well though.

Feedback Score
    I prefer flasks to bottles and canteens, my fav one is Dark Souls from Bonfire https://g4sky.net/dark-souls---bonfire-designer-flask/ . I don't like carrying big volumes of water or whatever, but I understand people who don't like flasks, it is just a question of personal taste.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of nesting cups and bottles. I used to use a standard GI canteen and cup, but ounces are pounds and the cup is stainless IIRC. But no doubt about it, it's darn near impossible to break one without driving over it with a car. But overall with the measuring index points on a Nalgene bottle, I found it easier to measure water for freeze dried meals rather than guesswork.

Also, if I'm out and about, I find it easier to filter water into the bottle or canteen and transfer it over to the bladder, so I carry both. I've tried the filtration into the bladder and it's neither easy or fun. Plus the bottle is a good pre-measured item for purification tabs if you use them. Fill the bottle and drop in the tab if you're on the move.

Almost comes down to choice. For me when it comes to utility, I find the Nalgene style with a nested cooking cup is hard to beat.
    Pretty close to my approach. White nalgene, Ti cup, platy bladders for bulk. But I'm not wearing tac vests.

I first started using bladders late 70's with VN surplus 5 qt bladder canteens.

I filter into, cook from, and largely drink from white nalgenes w nesting cup. Standardized on wide mth, and have flip tops, narrow screw tops, and filter plugs to fit. Plus I can stuff them with survival kit items to keep in vehicles, etc.

Clear nalgenes are tough but can break when cold. Stainless dents/splits when dropped or frozen. Seen both, all you need is a bunch of scouts to see how to break a water container. White nalgenes are the toughest. Plus just easy to put in the dishwasher or clean manually.

Yep, know all the ways CamelBak bladders can be used, cleaned, etc. Benefit not worth the hassle for me. But would be different in tac situations. Non bladders slosh and take space when empty. All tradeoffs.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleKohl View Post
    I prefer flasks to bottles and canteens, my fav one is Dark Souls from Bonfire https://g4sky.net/dark-souls---bonfire-designer-flask/ . I don't like carrying big volumes of water or whatever, but I understand people who don't like flasks, it is just a question of personal taste.
    Yeah buddy, that's the ticket! Carry 8-9 of them to get a typical *minimum* water load.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast