Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You filthy pig!! KX3

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

You filthy pig!! KX3

At a class last week, a friend of mine was complaining that his rifle was keyholing. It’s been doing it all summer actually, with some loads but not others. It is still a tackdriver with some loads and was previously with the loads in question. I noticed how dirty his KX3 was and suggested cleaning it…. I suspected it had been a while (confirmed—4, more like 6, K).

The moment I got it off I noted that it felt maybe 1/3 heavier than it should! I was dyin’ to see what was inside but could not get it apart. I noticed the mounting hole was carboned up too, but…. the keyholing with some loads continued which a Vortex temporarily in place. It is not an ammo issue as this ammo was working in everything else on the line—WW whitebox 55 FMJ and I think some XM 193. As I mentioned, this gun was doing very well with these loads previously. Barrel is a LaRue. The crown is perfect, muzzle face is clean, not all carboned up, rifling at muzzle looks fine, and he cleans the barrel with Wipeout. Barrel did not appear fouled...... I was not able to scope the freebore and throat though.

I’ve told him nothing lasts forever and it’s time for a new barrel….. I don’t think that’s gonna happen since it is still good with other ammo. I said “so keep shooting it until it stops keyholing then” and put the KX3 back on for him

Tried heat, Kroil, Kroil plus heat, had ‘er locked in a vise and put a large Crescent wrench on it with a cheater…. Never got it apart. The KX3 itself is made from some good tough stuff though; all this abuse and we hardly put a mark on it.

I wanted to take it home and boil it in WD40 for a while and then give it some raps and taps and try again but the owner was not ready to part with it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    At a class last week, a friend of mine was complaining that his rifle was keyholing. It’s been doing it all summer actually, with some loads but not others. It is still a tackdriver with some loads and was previously with the loads in question. I noticed how dirty his KX3 was and suggested cleaning it…. I suspected it had been a while (confirmed—4, more like 6, K).

The moment I got it off I noted that it felt maybe 1/3 heavier than it should! I was dyin’ to see what was inside but could not get it apart. I noticed the mounting hole was carboned up too, but…. the keyholing with some loads continued which a Vortex temporarily in place. It is not an ammo issue as this ammo was working in everything else on the line—WW whitebox 55 FMJ and I think some XM 193. As I mentioned, this gun was doing very well with these loads previously. Barrel is a LaRue. The crown is perfect, muzzle face is clean, not all carboned up, rifling at muzzle looks fine, and he cleans the barrel with Wipeout. Barrel did not appear fouled...... I was not able to scope the freebore and throat though.

I’ve told him nothing lasts forever and it’s time for a new barrel….. I don’t think that’s gonna happen since it is still good with other ammo. I said “so keep shooting it until it stops keyholing then” and put the KX3 back on for him

Tried heat, Kroil, Kroil plus heat, had ‘er locked in a vise and put a large Crescent wrench on it with a cheater…. Never got it apart. The KX3 itself is made from some good tough stuff though; all this abuse and we hardly put a mark on it.

I wanted to take it home and boil it in WD40 for a while and then give it some raps and taps and try again but the owner was not ready to part with it.

Thanks for the post Ned.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Another interesting thing about it-- which also makes me think it's just about packed solid-- I've tested KX3's for flash hiding and they work pretty darned good. This one.... not so much any more. I really hope I get a chance to take it apart.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Ned,

Get some Froglube and put it in a small pan on the stove (low heat). Then put the KX3 in it and let sit for 6 hours or so. It will break up and dissolve alot of the carbon.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Interesting. Thanks for posting!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A little Ultra Sonic couldn't hurt it.

I've been rotating Pappabear's mounts through the U/S Cleaner over the last few weeks. It's a good jump start to caked on carbon removal.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I was there (and the one on the end of the 14" crescent wrench) and that device is as Ned described.

Next trip, in a week, I'll take my bore scope along and we'll see what is going on in the bore.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    How many rounds does it take to build up that much carbon cake?
    Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    More than mere thousands. Tens of thousands. And yes, this friend of ours shoots that much, this isn't some inflated round-count.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I was not able to scope the freebore and throat though.
    It's either this... or pin guage the whole bore.

I bet the throat is beat up, or the bore opens up towards the muzzle end.

Is it button rifled?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast