Thread: Magpul Followers Question

Feedback Score

Magpul Followers Question

How can one tell the difference between a GEN I, GEN II, and now the GEN III followers in the mags?
    I recently saw an ad somewhere on the net, which mentioned the soon debuting "GEN III Followers" for 5.56. They were pictured as being yellow in color.
    What are the differences between the 3 generations?

Also, I have some PMAGS marked 11/07, and 12/07. The 11/07 have "5.56" stamped on the follower, and the 12/07 have NO text stamped on them.
    Is there a reason for this? Which Generation is which?
    Does this also mean there are different "Generations" of PMAGS, or do they only reference these by month/year stamp?
    Just trying to get an idea of what's what.
    Thanks for clearing things up.

PS,

I guess I have to also ask, if there is a knowledge base thread somehwhere on this forum, or anywhere online, which discusses the different versions/Generations of the Magpul PMAG in general?
    I mean, I've just acquired a couple PMAGS, which are from back in 8/07, 9/07, 11/07, and finally 12/07, and I would just like to know what is what, as far as any differences between these differently dated mags, etc?
    Anyone know of some good online info that can educate one about PMAG history?
    Thanks guys!

Feedback Score
    Anyone got info on various PMAG followers, or any info on the new GEN III followers, and the differences between all of the followers to date?
    Any info appreciated.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    AWESOME.
    I cannot believe this has not been posted more on the forums by now? That pic is GOLD IMO.
    I can't tell you how many people I see who are constantly asking about followers, and different PMAGS (including myself), and this pic would have benefit a lot of people, if they had seen it by now.
    THANKS for posting it.
    On another note, I wonder which Gen followers I have in some of the PMAGS I've got? ALL THREE of those followers up above appear to have the "5.56" stamp, with the Magpul logo on the end of the follower. However, I have a couple PMAGS, that have NO "5.56" stamp on the follower.
    Makes me wonder why these don't have the stamp? Possibly just an error in production, or does it have any other reason behind it?
    No biggie, just curious. Us AR junkies always like to know what we got.
    Thanks again bro.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The PMAG uses a different follower all together.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just for posterity sake

Gen II are available in Gray or Orange

Gen III are available in Fol Green or Yellow

I do not know about the Gen I colors besides the Coyote Brown

-----

Functionally speaking, are Gen III better functioning than Gen II? The spring retainer but looks OK, but the rest kind of looks like changes made for easier or cheaper manufacture of them.

Chad
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    Just for posterity sake

Gen II are available in Gray or Orange

Gen III are available in Fol Green or Yellow

I do not know about the Gen I colors besides the Coyote Brown

-----

Functionally speaking, are Gen III better functioning than Gen II? The spring retainer but looks OK, but the rest kind of looks like changes made for easier or cheaper manufacture of them.

Chad
    The first ones 'beta-testing' I used and still have a couple of are pinkish-red.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    ...I mean, I've just acquired a couple PMAGS, which are from back in 8/07, 9/07, 11/07, and finally 12/07, and I would just like to know what is what, as far as any differences between these differently dated mags, etc?...

This may also help:

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index....roducts_id=271