Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Tripping it to Lake Geneva, WI late August- Any recommendations...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question Road Tripping it to Lake Geneva, WI late August- Any recommendations...

Taking the Family ona orad trip to Lake Geneva, WI later this month and wanted to ask any WI locals of places I need to see, visit, eat or drink at whilst I am there.

I am big into craft beer/breweries & pubs, love ditillery tours and sipping whiskey and other such spirits, really good food (Not pretentious, just DELICIOUS!) and general outdoor adventure/fun stuff.

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

The family and I are pretty open to adventure of all kinds.

I want to keep in the vicinity of Lake Geneva for the most part, but if there is something a bit further out we absolutely SHOULD partake in- please let me know!

Thanks and take care!

ETA: we're definitely going to be visiting Geneva Lake Brewing Company!
    Last edited by THCDDM4; 08-02-13 at 11:37.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    You need to touch base with a member here named Vic303. I know she is familiar with all manners of wonderful beers and stuff in that state.

New Glarus (spelling?) comes to mind as one to check out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    SS- Thank you very much for the info sir, I will be in contact with Vic303 for sure.

Thanks again and take care!
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    born and raised in Milwaukee, WI though now located temp. in Phoenix, Az... Just your post wishes that I could make a road trip back home for alittle bit.

If you are looking for micro breweries SeriousStudent hit the nail on the head. New Glarous brewery is the place to stop. It's located just south of Madison and depending on which route you take on your road trip you might just pass right by it. New Glarous is known in WI for their Spotted Cow beer if you have ever heard of it... Def. give it a try!!!!

You already said you are going to Geneva brewing so I wont say anything about them...

Next place to look into would be Lake Front Brewery on the Milwaukee River in downtown Milwaukee. About 30-40 minutes north of Lake Geneva. Nice brewery with some good micro brews. A favorite spot for locals who are tired of Miller Lite, and more of a "adult" crowd then that of the bars on Water Street where you get the drunk college adults drinking Bud and Miller Lite in excess. Ask me how I know... LOL.

You can always stop and check out the old Pabst brewery in downtown Milwaukee too. If that's not really your cup of tea then just watch the movie Public Enemies as it has the brewery in the movie which was filmed in Milwaukee and Janesville WI.

The Miller tour is cool just for the nostalgia alone though if you like Miller then it's def. a tour to take. The entire area smells like yeast though, trust me you will smell the yeast if you are west of downtown Milwaukee.

The only really good whiskey bar that I know of would be located AGAIN in downtown Milwaukee which so happens to be called Whiskey Bar. It's alittle "trendy" and more of a club atmosphere but has one of the best selection of whiskeys that I can think of. Not worth going to downtown Milwaukee just for that as I am sure your hotel? or family? in Lake Geneva will or could have just as nice choices for you.

Lake Geneva aside is a great little place... A place I would like to move back to. Depending on where you are staying you can check out the Grand Geneva... Now a family resort though use to be Hugh Hefner"s Playboy Resort and Club.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask... I try to visit my family atleast twice a year now back in WI so my information may be alittle off. For sure try and stop by New Glarous and Lake Front.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Spotted Cow! That was it!

I was racking my brain, trying to remember the name of that beer. We have a local store that carries a lot of stuff like that, I'm going to check them out.

And brats and cheese, don't forget to check out all the brats and cheese shops while you are up there, THCDDM4.

I'm getting hungry and thirsty, and I'm not the one going on the drive.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Capital Brewery in Middleton, suburb of Madison. I really am partial to The Great Dane Pub in Madison. They make a lot of good brews. If the weather is hot, and if you are with your family, the Wisconsin Dells has a lot of well known water parks. Noah's Ark is the best outdoor water park. Ale Asylum is in Madison and is pretty popular as well. All of these places have websites.

If you are going to New Glarus, you will not be much farther to Madison, less than an hours drive. You could check out the state Capitol in Madison.

A lot of breweries in WI., just not sure of any near Lake Geneva, as it's pretty far south in WI.
    Last edited by madisonsfinest; 08-05-13 at 21:31.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations- I knew asking here was a good idea.

I'm gonna do some background research on all these places and add the interesting/good looking ones to my list.

Very nice of you all to help out and it is much appreciated!

MMMMM!- Brats and Cheese. And BEER!

I'm gonna have a beer brat with cheese tonight; with a brewski of course.

Thanks again everyone!

Slainte!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Spotted Cow! That was it!

I was racking my brain, trying to remember the name of that beer. We have a local store that carries a lot of stuff like that, I'm going to check them out.

And brats and cheese, don't forget to check out all the brats and cheese shops while you are up there, THCDDM4.

I'm getting hungry and thirsty, and I'm not the one going on the drive.
    You should try out Back 40 Bock which is also brewed by New Glarus.
    Ambitious but rubbish

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Elbowseed View Post
    You should try out Back 40 Bock which is also brewed by New Glarus.
    Thanks very much, I'll add that to my list.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Capital Brewing and New Glarus both have awesome beer, I still need to take the brewery tours though...

Lake Geneva is quite a bit farther south of me so I'm not super familiar with the area, but it's close enough to Milwaukee and the surrounding areas to check out the sights. The Milwaukee County War Memorial/Veterans Park is very cool and worth checking out if you're in the area.

If you feel like making a bit more of a drive, you can head up to Waukesha and check out Midwest Industries too. They have a nice little store front that's perfect for killing some time.

Those are just some ideas off the top of my head. Let me know if there's anything I can help with. I hope you have a good trip!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast