Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2013 Whitetail Deer Season

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    Season opens in 20 mins here.
    Two weeks from today for me... cant wait. Just hope I'm over this stupid flu by then. I think it's almost done but I still keep coughing. Going to suck if that's still going on; will scare the deer away!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    This year will be giving 556/AR go, puled dot off mounted scope and zeroed. Still undecided on ammo for season, been looking around threads and brushing up on 556/223 ballistics, etc.. Really wanting to stay away from frangible rounds and similar, as meat harvest is a concern. Alabama deer are not very big so looking for round that put'em down without destroying too much meat.
    I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if it's already been mentioned but the federal fusion may be worth a look. If I recall correctly it is a bonded bullet and they offer it in a 62gr load. I ran into a guy a while back who's young daughter used it for her first deer hunt and he seemed to be pleased with the results. Being familiar with the small deer in Alabama I don't think you'd have to do much tracking if you put a 62gr pull through the lungs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by longball View Post
    I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if it's already been mentioned but the federal fusion may be worth a look. If I recall correctly it is a bonded bullet and they offer it in a 62gr load. I ran into a guy a while back who's young daughter used it for her first deer hunt and he seemed to be pleased with the results. Being familiar with the small deer in Alabama I don't think you'd have to do much tracking if you put a 62gr pull through the lungs.

I'll be using the fusion this season. The Barnes TSX is another good choice. 100% copper and folks are getting fantastic expansion and retention with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Barnes is definitely a great choice when penetration and weight retention are a priority, or when shooting game that is pushing the limit of your chosen caliber. Given the size of the deer down here, I think the 62gr fusion would be adequate while saving the OP a little money.

"These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456