Thread: Cleanup tip for spilled powder...is it safe?

Feedback Score

Cleanup tip for spilled powder...is it safe?

I know that you are never supposed to use a vacuum cleaner to clean up spilled powder. However, I sometimes get small ammounts of powder that rolls into small cracks and seams in the wood on my reloading bench that can only be removed with a vacuum.

Here is what I am doing. I used a lady's kneehigh stocking as a filter to trap the powder residue in the hose. I inserted the kneehigh into the shop vac hose and folded the open end of the kneehigh back over the cuff of the shop vac hose. I then slipped the vaccum crevis nozzle onto the hose cuff which locked the stocking in place. I then vacuumed out the cracks and crevises on my bench top. Then I removed the nozzle and took out the stocking with the powder residue trapped inside. I took the stocking outdoors and turned inside out and scattered the powder residue to the winds so it can fertilize my lawn. I am quite sure that none if the powder got past the stocking so I am not accumulating a fire hazzard in by shop vac.

All of the powder granules (flakes, sperical balls, or cylindrical granules)seem much larger than the mesh of the stocking so I am fairly confident that nothing significant is getting through.

Do you guys think this is a safe procedure or am I going to make the 11 o'clock news when my shop vac blows up?

Feedback Score
    I use a vac or a little cheapo paint brush. The volume inside the vac is so huge compared to the tiny amount of powder in there, I don't see a problem.

Feedback Score
    Your vacuum won't blow up.
    The worst that could happen is a fire. Just don't shove the vacuum into the closet right away so you'll know if something is smoldering.

Feedback Score
    I have been using a stock Dustbuster for over a year now. Nothing has blown up or caught fire on me yet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Noone uses compressed air to just blow it onto the floor for sweeping later?

Is that because you smoke while reloading and just ash onto the floor?

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    what kind of powder are we talking about here?

Will