Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: KAC SR-16 Pressure Reduction System

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    What I'm really after is information on whether or not the SR-16 does have an extended RE, and if so, is the part available as an individual component. It would imply that the KAC RE would be tuned and optimized for their 5.56 carbines, which in theory should run more reliably than the A5 I'm assuming. My understanding is that the SR-15 can be finicky with certain types of ammo with an A5 installed. Honestly, the rifle already shoots great as is, so it's not like I'm in dire need to make it shoot any smoother. Just a general RFI really. Looking forward to any input from a KAC rep. Thanks.
    If the SR-15 used the .75" longer receiver extension from the SR-25 and some AR-10s (which use the standard carbine length buffer with the longer buffer tube together to compensate for more carrier travel) then a longer buffer would also have to be used for 5.56. Which is exactly what Vltor A5 system is a AR-10 length tube with a longer, carbine style buffer.
    Last edited by jerrysimons; 08-11-13 at 19:41.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Just to clarify from our end:

The receiver extension on the SR16 and SR15 are standard carbine length receiver extensions, utilizing standard buffers.

The SR25 carbines use a longer receiver extension, which permits the use of standard buffers.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Roger all. Thanks.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Just to clarify from our end:

The receiver extension on the SR16 and SR15 are standard carbine length receiver extensions, utilizing standard buffers.

The SR25 carbines use a longer receiver extension, which permits the use of standard buffers.
    I will say it would be nice to see the SR25 RE make it's way onto the SR15/16 series of carbines along with a KAC licensed A5 buffer... hint...hint...

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: KAC SR-16 Pressure Reduction System

Quote Originally Posted by E-man930 View Post
    I will say it would be nice to see the SR25 RE make it's way onto the SR15/16 series of carbines along with a KAC licensed A5 buffer... hint...hint...
    Won't say it won't happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    And it also makes sense then that by adding an A5 system might make the carbine run less than optimal given specific types of ammo. Especially considering it's already perfectly tuned to be a soft shooter that can eat any type of commercially available ammo it's fed.
    That has not been my experience. I've been running mostly 77gr .223 thru an sr15 14.5 upper in combination with an A5 system (the one w the suppressor) for about 7 months with no problems. I've seen postings mostly on other sites saying this set up will not work.

I could test the A5 on an SR16 upper but that would require more than just swapping lowers (the one w the suppressor and A5 is not an SBR lower -- the other two are ATF blessed). But im not sure i have sufficient ambition to pull the tools out and get the REs swapped

Last edited by hjmpanzr; 08-08-13 at 07:42.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Won't say it won't happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    I don't think there's much of a need as long as the lower is on one of your uppers. Its not that it wouldnt help but I'm not sure the cost/benefit is there with the intermediate gas system. $50 increase sure, but $150 increase probably not.

Right now I think your focus is exactly where it should be; namely getting me my backordered ECC and 762 QDC CQB

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Re: KAC SR-16 Pressure Reduction System

Quote Originally Posted by hjmpanzr View Post
    That has not been my experience. I've been running mostly 77gr .223 thru an sr15 14.5 upper in combination with an A5 system (the one w the suppressor) for about 7 months with no problems. I've seen postings mostly on other sites saying this set up will not work.

I could test the A5 on an SR16 upper but that would require more than just swapping lowers (the one w the suppressor and A5 is not an SBR lower -- the other two are ATF blessed). But im not sure i have sufficient ambition to pull the tools out and get the REs swapped

I've got an SBR lower with an A5 system. Next range trip, I'll see how the Mod1 upper runs on it. Truthfully, I would expect only a marginal difference. The Mod1 with an H buffer is already exceedingly tame.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    I've got an SBR lower with an A5 system. Next range trip, I'll see how the Mod1 upper runs on it. Truthfully, I would expect only a marginal difference. The Mod1 with an H buffer is already exceedingly tame.
    Didn't your Christmas cheer package allow you to piece together an SR16 upper? If so, how does it run with an A5 system?

It has been my experience that the difference that an A5 makes with KAC uppers with intermediate gas systems is minimal, although I've only tried it on KAC 14.5" and mod 0.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    It's not so much trying to further tame the recoil impulse as it is adding a larger margin of reliability with the rifle length spring and a5 buffer with it's patent pending reliability upgrade by it's design. I have run 11.5 / 14.5 / 16 inch KAC uppers both suppressed and un-suppressed with nothing but stellar results with all sorts of ammo on the A5 system... I'm sure its a matter of time before we start seeing factory implementation but if anyone comes to mind as the first to vett this system as an OEM it's KAC.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast