Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "AR15" X'd out replaced with "M16A1"?

Feedback Score

"AR15" X'd out replaced with "M16A1"?

Back in basic in '89, I was issued a rifle like this. I thought it was pretty neat at the time, as none of the other trainees' rifles I saw were so marked. Further, the "M16" stamp had a different look than the "A1", as if the "A1" had been added later. I've no idea how original the rest of the parts were to the receiver--probably replacements. But mine did have the triangular handguards which I liked much better than the round pineapples that were present on about half of our platoon's rifles.

I'm curious as to the history of these markings. How common were they, and were they unique to a particular manufacturer? For the life of me, although I remember the X'd out stampings very well, I cannot recall the manufacturer. Funny how one's memory works. My best friend treasures his Oly, because he swears he was issued one in basic training and distinctly recalls the Griffin logo.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    In the Navy we had origanal colt ar-15's that were x ed out and restamped m-16a1. This was back in the early 90's before we turned them in for new a3's made by FN.

Feedback Score
    Funny you should mention that. When I was returning from one of my deployments to Iraq, I encountered some Seabees in the chow hall line. What I noticed first was one of their M16 A1's. As I was staring at his rifle, the Seabee said something like "Yeah, this is an A1; people keep making a big deal about it." He let me look at it for awhile. His was made by Harrington and Richardson. The finish was devoid of any high edge wear and was almost a purple color, leading me to believe that it had been refinished at some point. I thought it was pretty neat to see such an old rifle in this day and age. On my first deployment, I saw some Marines with an M60 machine gun mounted in the turret on their M1165. They, too were used to guys making a big deal of their "obsolete" weapons.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBAGUNS View Post
    In the Navy we had origanal colt ar-15's that were x ed out and restamped m-16a1. This was back in the early 90's before we turned them in for new a3's made by FN.
    Those A3s have an auto selection instead of a burst, right?
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Throatwarbler Mangrove View Post
    Funny you should mention that. When I was returning from one of my deployments to Iraq, I encountered some Seabees in the chow hall line. What I noticed first was one of their M16 A1's. As I was staring at his rifle, the Seabee said something like "Yeah, this is an A1; people keep making a big deal about it." He let me look at it for awhile. His was made by Harrington and Richardson. The finish was devoid of any high edge wear and was almost a purple color, leading me to believe that it had been refinished at some point. I thought it was pretty neat to see such an old rifle in this day and age. On my first deployment, I saw some Marines with an M60 machine gun mounted in the turret on their M1165. They, too were used to guys making a big deal of their "obsolete" weapons.
    I remember being thrown off by seeing a couple seabees with A1s back in Al Asad in 05. It was the first I had seen one in person. Over in Bagram in 09 the navy EOD platoon I was working with had a m79 in our weapon safe as well.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by obucina View Post
    Those A3s have an auto selection instead of a burst, right?
    Yes. They were marked safe, semi and auto. The A3 is just an A2 but with Auto instead of burst.
    Last edited by BUBBAGUNS; 08-09-13 at 21:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Throatwarbler Mangrove View Post
    One of my friends was a Seabee and told me he was issued an A2 which he thought was retro since others were using A4s.
    If I were you, I'd be very careful who you show that to. Because the person that wrote that is dangerous. And you never know when this button-down Oxford cloth psycho might come to work with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon stalking from office to office pumping round after round into co-workers. It could be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.

Feedback Score
    For the OP, did your rifle have a Forward Assist?
    Moon
    Last edited by halfmoonclip; 09-02-13 at 21:54.

Feedback Score
    Yes, it was FA. I also remember that in the National Guard, once the A2 was adopted in the RA, we still had A1's--but an aluminum plate with an aluminum arm was installed between the pistol grip and the receiver; the arm blocked the selector from being placed on auto. I thought that was interesting; not only was the Army pro 3 rd burst, it was positively anti-FA. We used to routinely break those little arms off. It wasn't that we needed FA so much; we were just insulted by this modification.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, changed my original post to indicate 'FA' meant 'forward assist'; IIRC, a straight M16 had no FA to close the bolt.

I recall those damnfool little tabs; my old guard outfit had them. Even worse, when we were called up for the trucker's strike, they took our BCGs out of the rifles as well; guess they figured it would be messy if we shot some truckers. About half the company had privately owned handguns stashed on their person....
    I always put in for range detail because we got to shoot up the leftover ammo at the end of the day. It took about no time to unscrew the pistol grip and remove the steel gizmo, burn up some ammo FA, and then put the gizmo back on. The guys in the arms room got grumpy if you simply broke off that tab.
    Moon
    Moon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast