Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kit Buildup - Burn Pack

Feedback Score

Kit Buildup - Burn Pack

This is part of this post.

Within the scope of what the orginal idea, feel free to make some suggestions for this kit -- please copy the list before your post and add, subtract or make changes to the existing list. Please give your reason for the changes.

Just to throw some ideas out... I like the small kit from Water Jel and have basically that kit with cold packs and Silver Sulfadiazine as a burn pack now.

So...
    One 12X16 Face Dressing
    Two 4X16 Burn Dressing
    Two 4X4 Burn Dressing
    Six Burn Jel Packets
    Two Rolls of 3" Gauze
    Two small Cold Packs
    One Tube of Silver Sulfa
    One Tube of Bacitracin
    Scissors
    Tape

This makes for a pretty small pack, about the size of a hardback book -- way more than one would want for a wilderness, or hiking kit... but then the probability of burn treatment is reduced in that setting anyway?
    Last edited by K.L. Davis; 06-21-09 at 18:28.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    I like the idea of a small kit, one thing I would add would be a small bottle of sterile water.

I would vacuum seal it together to further reduce the size and help keep contamination out of the sterile supplies.

Feedback Score
    So how's this?

One 12X16 Water-Jel Face Dressing
    Two 4X16 Water-Jel Burn Dressing
    Two 4X4 Water-Jel Burn Dressing
    Six Water-Jel Burn Jel Packets
    Two Rolls of 3" Gauze
    One Small Cold Packs
    One 250ml Bottle of Sterile Water
    One Tube of Bacitracin
    Scissors
    Tape

*Changed the cold pack from 2 to 1, took out the SSD (Rx item and Sulfa drug) and added 250ml of Sterile Water.

I am not not even close to an expert on this stuff... so feel free to comment, I can put some stuff together to show what size package we are talking.

Feedback Score
    That's a nice little burn kit. You won't get tape to stick to Water-Jel, so devise alternate means to hold it in place, such as your gauze rolls, ACE wraps, Kerlix, Kling, etc. + large safety pins. Personally, I would change at least one gauze roll to 3" Kling (vet wrap) & toss in some diaper pins, to have some versatility.

Lidocaine impregnated wound cleaning pads (over the counter) can offer some relief to unroofed second degree, and to a lesser extent, intact burned tissue. Lidocaine toxicity is always a possibility, but a few pads (6 or less) won't get you in trouble.

Feedback Score
    How's this?

One 12X16 Water-Jel Face Dressing
    Two 4X16 Water-Jel Burn Dressing
    Two 4X4 Water-Jel Burn Dressing
    Six Water-Jel Burn Jel Packets
    Six Wound Cleansing Pads w/Lidocaine
    One Roll of 3" Gauze
    One Roll of 3" Kling
    One Small Cold Packs
    One 250ml Bottle of Sterile Water
    One Tube of Bacitracin
    Six Safety Pins, Four Large and Two Small
    Scissors

Feedback Score
    Looks good to me, I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Feedback Score

Wet vs Dry Dressings-Food for thought

Wet dressings are great and are the gold standard for treating burns but this is only if you are near a burn treatment facility/sustained treatment facility. One of your biggest concerns with burns and trauma is hypothermia(lg burns-defined below)and for soldiers who are isolated from these facilities dry dressings may be an option. This is our protocol in SF/Spec Ops from our schoolhouse/committees.
    Liquids in contact with the skin pull body heat away 30% faster than if dry, not to mention your skin is no longer exist(not to get into the weeds! ). Anyway, just food for thought.

Straight from the 18D-SFMS(Spec Forces Med School)/SOCM(Special Ops Combat Medic Course) schoolhouse.

MGMT of Thermal Burns
    Moderate to Severe Burns
    -Dry sterile dressings
    -Partial Thickness: >15%BSA
    -Full Thickness: >5%BSA
    -Maintain warmth
    -Prevent Hypothermia
    -Consider aggressive fluid therapy(Parklands Formula)
    -Moderate to sever burns
    -Burns over IV sites
    -Place an IV in partial thickness burn site

Feedback Score
    I work in EMS with a burn center at my back door. The new "gold standard" for burn care is dry non-adheraing sterile dressings, gel wise you can use triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin). Keep the patient warm, dry, and hydrated. Biggest cause of death in burn patients is infection. If you happen to have antibiotics around and the burn is severe and your days away from a burn center you can administer a broad spectrum antibiotic.

I have seen what it is like when a burn patient arrives in the burn center and when they clean off the gels/ointments/etc that has been placed on the burn it takes twice as long to clean and is very very very very painful.
    Last edited by dvdmacdaddy; 01-02-12 at 16:06.
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~ George Washington

”The right of the people to keep and bear…arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country…” ~ James Madison

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmacdaddy View Post
    I work in EMS with a burn center at my back door. The new "gold standard" for burn care is dry non-adheraing sterile dressings, gel wise you can use triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin). Keep the patient warm, dry, and hydrated. Biggest cause of death in burn patients is infection. If you happen to have antibiotics around and the burn is severe and your days away from a burn center you can administer a broad spectrum antibiotic.

I have seen what it is like when a burn patient arrives in the burn center and when they clean off the gels/ointments/etc that has been placed on the burn it takes twice as long to clean and is very very very very painful.
    So would the best thing to do be cover w/Kerlix and treat for shock while waiting for ambo or other means of transport? This assuming you're not in a disaster or some other SHTF event.
    Glock 22
    Beretta TX4

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Feedback Score
    Thats correct if the patient is critical, also if you have IVs and training you can start to large bore IVs with rapid infusion (Parkland Burn Formula).

If not critical cover with kerlex, hydrate/IV (if trained and have it) watch for shock and infection, transport to the closest burn center ASAP.

Critical is any inhalation injury; > 20% TBSA 2nd Degree/Partial Thickness; > 5% TBSA 3rd Degree/Full Thickness; any 2nd-3rd degree burn to the head, neck, face, feet/hands, genitalia; any electrical burn; or any 2nd-3rd degree burn with other underlying trauma.

TBSA- Total Body Surface Area

Quick way to figure % is take the size of the patients hand and that is 1%, or you can use the Rule of Nines (easy just have to remember your charts).

Parkland Burn Formula - 4cc/kg/% burn with 1/2 given in 1st 8hrs
    Last edited by dvdmacdaddy; 01-02-12 at 18:33.
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~ George Washington

”The right of the people to keep and bear…arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country…” ~ James Madison

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast