Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is there any benefit to short barreled 7.62 nato?

Feedback Score
    I was seriously looking into a 7.62x51mm in the AR platform- I'm a big fan of the .30 caliber. Draw back for me weight of the current AR10 type platforms, recoil and expsense of reloading vs benifits( thats a lot of extra powder). Then the 300 Blk came out . Fit my needs perfectly, .30 caliber,added punch over 5.56mm at most useable SD/HD ranges, Same(lighter platform), half if not more reductions of component cost sans bullets. Surpression was never a factor in the pick as I have no need for it.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnutAF View Post
    Surpression was never a factor in the pick as I have no need for it.
    You need to get out more...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think that the 7.62 is a great round but personally chose the 300BLK as my 8" platform as the benefit and weight with the 7.62x51 was just in favor of the 300BLK. I think anyone that does a little research will find this to be true.
    Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tootsies View Post
    I find this interesting since i'm in the process of building a 14.5" pinned 308 right now, which will be ran suppressed. I just want a mid range gun with some thump.
    If you are going suppressed, take a good look at this:

http://www.slrrifleworks.com/product...able-gas-block

They use a 10 inch full auto 308 AR for R&D. While I am certainly no expert, the pressure and other timing issues running 308 AR's suppressed seem to be alleviated without switching buffers, springs, BCG's etc.
    Last edited by uncommon commoner; 10-08-13 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    A good way to think about this is to describe the barrel length in calibers which is the barrel length divided by the bullet diameter. For example a 14.5 inch 5.56 mm barrel is about 65 calibers long. A 16 inch 7.62 mm barrel is about 52 calibers long. For standard rifle cartridges barrel length below 50 calibers and certainly 40 calibers gets you well into a regime of diminishing returns. By this reasoning a 16 inch 7.62 barrel is a short barrel.
    Were you a Gunners Mate by chance? The last time I heard that explanation I was the powder man on a dual 5"/38 gun turret.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uncommon commoner View Post
    If you are going suppressed, take a good look at this:

http://www.slrrifleworks.com/product...able-gas-block

They use a 10 inch full auto 308 AR for R&D. While I am certainly no expert, the pressure and other timing issues running 308 AR's suppressed seem to be alleviated without switching buffers, springs, BCG's etc.
    Not practical. That 10" .308 barrel would eat the blast baffle of the suppressor too fast for those of us who have to purchase our own gear.
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
    Not practical. That 10" .308 barrel would eat the blast baffle of the suppressor too fast for those of us who have to purchase our own gear.
    As stated, I am not an expert. The manufacturer states 'thousands" of rounds through THEIR suppressed 10" SBR. They do not say if any suppressors were eaten up. My guess is they went with a 10" 308 to demonstrate how well their gas block works at that extreme. The link was supplied to a poster who said he or she was looking to do a 14.5 inch.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Oh yes, AND we have one the largest numbers of black bears in both population and physical size in the CONUS.
    From your description, it sounds like western PA.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    As stated, I am not an expert. The manufacturer states 'thousands" of rounds through THEIR suppressed 10" SBR. They do not say if any suppressors were eaten up. My guess is they went with a 10" 308 to demonstrate how well their gas block works at that extreme. The link was supplied to a poster who said he or she was looking to do a 14.5 inch.
    Probably. Unburned powder destroys the blast baffle like a sand blaster of molten hot 2200fps particles with every pull of the trigger. The short 10" .308 barrel leaves a lot more spent and Unburned power media to erode the can. 14.5" will at least allow more of all that .308 cartridge to burn. I think the benefit of the 300blk is there is less powder and ultimately less media to cause erosion.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456