Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: in the market for ar type 308

Feedback Score

in the market for ar type 308

i in the market for a ar10 platform 308 or 7.62x51. im new to this caliber in the ar style rifle. my uses for it are mainly a battle rifle and for boar/ hog hunting. bench rest precison is last. weight is a minor thought as im used to a m1a. ive been looking hard at lmt lm8 mws, armalites ar-10a4, colt 901, scar17 and all the other battle rifles. or should i just build myself? looking to spend approx. $3500. also what do you guys feel about alot of these 308s not having forward assist? is it just not needed? im also taking into consideration ease to get parts, mags, maintenance, warranties, and anything else you guys come up with. thanks for the help.
    Last edited by hbbum79; 08-11-13 at 11:23.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: in the market for ar type 308

I recommend against building.

For your stated purpose, I believe that the M&P10 is right up your alley. Then again, that is my assumption that you don't really need more than a 2 MOA gun and that you will shoot less than 100 rounds a month.

Forward assist isn't really necessary given the mass of the BCG and strength of the action spring.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I too believe the M&P 10 is just up your alley. It just so happens that I have one for sale in the classifieds

Feedback Score

For that price you could get a larue. A buddy has there OBR and it is an outstanding rifle. I currently have there predetOBR on order.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm new to the 308 platform also. I picked up an LMT MWS 16" chromed barrel and I couldn't be happier. Yes it is heavy, however, I like its feel better than my DD M4 V5 and I really like the DD. The rifle just feels right and shoots like a dream. Mine was $2900 out the door. For me it is a keeper.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Failure2stop,
    Is the durability of the m&p10 not there for more than a few thousand rds on a yearly average? I ask because I'm considering one.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jpgm View Post
    Failure2stop,
    Is the durability of the m&p10 not there for more than a few thousand rds on a yearly average? I ask because I'm considering one.

jpgm
    Don't know yet.
    Won't know until we get a wider data set.
    If expectation is kept realistic a better picture of what the gun is will emerge.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    For $3500 you can get a LMT MWS, possibly a Larue OBR or GAP 10, LWRC Reaper, or maybe a JP LRP 07. And the forward assist isn't necessary as you're using it for target shooting. If a round doesn't want to feed then toss it and move on to the next.
    Last edited by OrdnanceLocker; 08-14-13 at 09:29.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrdnanceLocker View Post
    For $3500 you can get a LMT MWS, possibly a Larue OBR or GAP 10, LWRC Reaper, or maybe a JP LRP 07. And the forward assist isn't necessary as you're using it for target shooting. If a round doesn't want to feed then toss it and move on to the next.
    If you need to smash a round into the chamber, it doesn't belong there.
    There are some times that a FA is useful, but the mass of 7.62 BCGs and power of the action spring pretty much eliminates the issue that a FA is needed for.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    M&P-10 is about the best value for a 308 AR there is. Compared to others, you're getting a lot of rifle for the money. I haven't shot it enough to claim ultimate reliability or durability but I like how mine is shaking out so far. No malfunctions yet. S&W got most of the details right

My experiences so far https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=134269
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast