Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout for A Kid

Feedback Score

300 Blackout for A Kid

.223 is a pretty popular first caliber around here because of the light recoil. I have shot a few deer and even a moose with my BM all 1 shot kills, bottom line it is about shot placement so I don't want to get into a ballistics pissing match. In NH there is no age restriction on youth hunters the Fisheries & Wildlife answer was they have to be with an Adult with a valid license and the deer does not use the Adults tag. If they suspect an Adult
    Shot the animal they may ask the child to demonstrate proficiency with the weapon. My son is 6 so I am building an AR for him for next year and I was thinking about going with the 300 blackout, I would use the Barnes X 110 gr. Tac-TX with 20.2 gr. Of H110 and I wondering if anyone has kids that havve shot the 300 and what they thought about the recoil. My son is very active 50% for his weight and not beefy.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If .223 isn't the 'right' caliber to use, then sure. If that is permissible for taking deer, just build it in 5.56/.223, run Barnes TSX bullets, and drive on. If you want to make it a BLK, go for it - the impulse between the two isn't very different, and since you're handloading for the BLK you'll be just fine.

As far as making it more tolerable for him to shoot, ironically making it heavier is probably the answer. Put a bipod on it, an optic, hell, throw on a flashlight with no consideration for weight - stuff some spare parts or batteries in the stock and/or grip if the recoil is an issue. A 10lb AR doesn't kick much at all, and if you can set him up shooting prone (assuming climate/location isn't restricted to elevated blinds or anything - I have no idea how it is in your neck of the woods) off a bag, that can help even more.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It might be a little front heavy unless its an sbr. My 12 yr old boy has no problem, my 6 year old has a bit of a time but she's a trooper. Have t let her handle the sbr though, that could be an answer.

Recoil is relative. When I was a kid the harder it kicked the more I loved it. My oldest boy is not a fan of recoil, but neither the kids complain about 5.56 or 300 blackout (with a supressor it is even better).

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I think a 30 caliber bullet is legal for deer anywhere. 5.56 is not legal for deer here in ET. Personally I think the .223 recoil is less than the 300 super sonic loads. Like the others have said, weight helps in that regard. Possibly a light weight contour barrel would help. My BCM light weight always feels impressive compared to the standard and HBAR..
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is true, but with subs it's a different animal. Add a supressor and you have truly changed the game( this is with an sbr rather than a lighter barrel).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If your son can handle the recoil of a .223, then he can handle the recoil on a .300 Blackout. It is a very pleasant round to shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Recoil with the 300 BLK is noticeably heavier than 5.56. I would not choose the AR or a 300 BLK for a small child. There is alot more to hunting than shooting. At 6 years old I would have the kid tagging along focusing on field craft, game identification, safety etc.

Keep in mind the recoil impulse for a 300 Blackout using 110 grain TSX is approximately 5.84 ft lbs. It's not much for an adult male but for a 45 lb kid it's not going to be comfortable. To put it in perspective it's the equivilent of a 200 lb adult male firing a 45/70 through a 7lb rifle. As a large adult male If I had very little shooting experience I would hate to have to learn on a light 45/70. Im pretty sure I would develop some pretty poor shooting errors.

Even Native Americans waited 10-12 years before boys were allowed to join the hunt.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 08-14-13 at 06:09.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The only way to find out if the 300 BLK is a good choice for your son is to let him shoot it
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score

Re: 300 Blackout for A Kid

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The only way to find out if the 300 BLK is a good choice for your son is to let him shoot it
    I am going to build it and hunt with it this fall. If the recoil seems to be to much I'll switch the barrel.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I think it'll be fine.. A sharper pulse, but about the same overall.. Good luck.. Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlyatoms View Post
    I am going to build it and hunt with it this fall. If the recoil seems to be to much I'll switch the barrel.

Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast