Thread: 5.45 Uppers - What's the Current State of Manufacturers?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

5.45 Uppers - What's the Current State of Manufacturers?

Considering a 5.45 upper and have read most of the threads and the "Big" 5.45 thread.

So what is the current state of suppliers for a quality upper?

From my research I've found the following (I see that S&W discontinued their upper):

1. Spikes Mid-Length
    2. Adams/Huldra Piston
    3. Olympic Arms (crap right or an anomaly in 5.45?)
    4. Model 1 (nuh huh, not even considering it - just listing it)

Any one I'm missing? Please say I missed the 5.45 upper on BCM's site.

So, if that's it, I'm down to looking at the Spikes or Adams.
    Last edited by cinco; 08-15-13 at 17:00.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I think PSA had a few, but not well received.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bueller, Bueller?

Anyone else?

Found the LWRC M6AK upper ( https://www.lwrci.com/t-m6ak.aspx ), but at $1300+ last I saw - uh huh. Cost savings out the window.

I don't even see Spikes offering their 5.45 on their website anymore.

So is the 5.45 AR Upper market dead besides Adams, Oly and Model 1? Has the mag issues and low demand killed this niche?

If so, I might as well get a Waffen Werks AK74 for ~ $700 or an Arsenal SGL31 at same price as the LWRC.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    S&W seems to be the upper of choice. I'm happy with mine, but only have 3000k through it.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought the stuff to make an Adams piston upper in 5.45mm. Put it together, it worked like a champ. I changed it over from piston to DI because the upper needs to be cleaned every time you fire it and the piston assembly makes on more thing to clean. The DI version is easier to clean, I can clean one in about 8 minuites. DI works fine, that's what I recommend you build. As far as Adams quality and customer service I have nothing but praise. The piston assemblies are well made. My first Adams barrel started shooting bullets sideways, Adams replaced it. The upper had a soft finish that came off on the wear points, again Adams replaced it. Neither incident was their fault, I am all but certain they did not make the barrel nor anodize the upper but they took responsibility and made it right. Buy and Adams barrel. Assemble your own upper. I don't see a 5.45 listed by S&W. If you can find one, get it. Mine works perfectly.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I believe Huldra makes a 5.45 upper that is based off of the Adams Arms piston system.
    Mill Operator
    Knight's Armament Company

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Ballistic Advantage

Spikes makes the 5.45 uppers exclusively for AIM, you can get them through their site.

S&W is no longer making them

Huldra

RCA will begin making 5.45 bolts eventually
    Matthew 10:28