Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Saw or axe? Axe or Machete? Machete or big knife?

Feedback Score
    Some have those bucksaws for their particular needs out and about in the wilderness/woods. Here's one that I have called Bob Dustrude's Quick Bucksaw.

This one, in my opinion is better built that the TrailBlazer Sawvivor as compared here.

There's quite a bit of information and reviews on these two (2) particular saws on YouTube and elsewhere on the InformationSuperHighway.

Feedback Score
    Bahco(formerly Sandvik) makes very nice tools for the woods.

Feedback Score
    A good mid-sized knife, 15-20cm blade, and a folding SAW.

I feel this combination offers more versatility than an axe/hatchet-knife combo.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    - - - - -
    Last edited by DTakas; 01-03-19 at 09:51.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    esee 3 and junglas.

/end thread.
    I guess that whole "and why" part got by you, huh?..

never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    This.

What's the environment? And are you driving in a Winnebago, or carrying this across the Tetons?

I grew up in the desert where there were no trees. If you carried an ax, people would assume you were a looney.
    your rules. describe under which conditions you would do which. however, if I was in the Winnebago I'd have a chainsaw with me so let's keep it with the nature of the forum - Fieldcraft and Survival...
    Last edited by ra2bach; 08-16-13 at 10:12.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Um, okay.....

I'd still probably prefer to carry an extra quart of water, over an axe for cutting down a non-existent tree.

And I'm speaking as someone that has a pair of GB axes, an SA Wetterlings hatchet, and a Hult Bruks hatchet. I'm a fan of Swedish steel. I probably have a half-dozen Mora's, too.

A comforting favorite blankie is one thing, but gear that does not assist you does not make a great deal of sense to me.

I'm not trying to urinate in your breakfast cereal of choice, I just don't understand why you would do that. Psychological comfort?
    your Hults Bruks - is it an actual Hults or the Husqvarna version? I didn't know you could get Hults in the US...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the tip on the Silky. I may grab one, I can always use it on the trees and shrubbery around the house. Should be a decent test, the trees are hardwoods.

What size teeth do you have on the Pocketboy? The webpage shows small, medium and large.
    I have both the course and fine tooth blades, but I have only used the course due to only cutting green wood with it so far. It works well for pruning.

For CLHC, how does the Bahco compare to the Pocketboy?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    for those of you who advocate a saw instead of an axe, how do you split wood?

I like a saw. I often throw a 10" Fiskars Sliding saw in my pack simply because it's so light and there are definitely times when it's easier than an axe. but it won't get me to the inside of wood, either to make kindling, or to get at the dry inner parts when it's wet out.

an axe works best for this. you can baton a big knife but it won't outright chop as well as an axe and a short axe can shave and make tinder with no trouble.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    your rules. describe under which conditions you would do which. however, if I was in the Winnebago I'd have a chainsaw with me so let's keep it with the nature of the forum - Fieldcraft and Survival...
    Okay, I was asking for info, so I could help you with your question.

Good luck to you.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast