Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pull-up bar solutions

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Pull-up bar solutions

I need a pull-up bar. Are the removable door-mounted ones viable? How much weight can they hold without marring the doorframe? Any good brands you use? Alternatives?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I own the Iron Gym pull-up bar that mounts in the doorway, and a stand alone pull-up tower.

I find the pull-up tower works better with tall ceilings and offers more flexibility with how far apart you want to put your hands.

The removable door-mounted one works fine for me, but your hands will be closer together, and at 165lbs, no frame damage has occurred.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    I need a pull-up bar. Are the removable door-mounted ones viable? How much weight can they hold without marring the doorframe? Any good brands you use? Alternatives?
    I have had a removable door one for about a year that has marred my door frame and at this moment is bent and looks like it is going to break soon. I have varied weight from around 165 to 180 the past year. I will be upgrading soon to either the Rouge Fitness unit (I love their squat rack that I own from) or a do it yourself rig soon http://www.limitless365.com/2012/08/...uman-pull-ups/ .
    Last edited by mattexass; 08-15-13 at 22:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Use door frame bar. It does push hands a little closer(but not problematic). For what it does, for what it cost, cant beat it.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    If you have the space, a power cage with an integrated pullup bar works really well. I ordered one off amazon for $250 + shipping. Doesn't mess up the wall above the door, and I can squat/bench heavier weights without a spotter.

Feedback Score

Re: Pull-up bar solutions

FWIW, I have chin/dip station from CAP at my house that I really like. It has a seat for leg raises and a set of pushup bars as well. I can get a pretty decent upper body workout with it.

At work we have a power cage that has integrated pullup bats and it is great. We initially bought the one from Amazon but liked the one that Dick's offer better and swapped.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a no-name door-mounted pull-up bar that I got for free. I've been using it for the last few months and haven't noticed any damage to the door frame. When I started using it, I weighed 200 lbs and it held just fine.

Feedback Score
    I have a door frame "Iron Gym Pull Up Bar" and used it for about 3+ years and then got a "Gold's Gym Power Tower" at local Wal-Mart about 3 weeks ago. I use the power tower almost exclusively now and hardly use the Iron Gym anymore. The one thing Iron Gym does have that the power tower does not is the neutral grip handles which were really the only kind of pull ups I could do with the limited space I had in my door way. I like the Gold's Gym power tower because it has the pull up bar and push up station on one side and the dip bar leg raise attachment on the other. I tried others in the stores that carried display models and found it was too difficult for me to do pull ups with the dip station right there. I also had a dip rack attachment that I purchased for the Iron Gym as well and it worked pretty decently as well.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have the golds Gym $20 model. 160lb has marred door jamb a bit. Be nice if hands could be placed further apart.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I had one that screws into your door frame but I cannot remember the brand. It worked fine and didn't cause any extra damage besides the screw holes. It also pulled out so you could do lat-rows but with standing and body weight you'd have to do a ton of reps to even feel a burn. I would be weary of the ones that do not mount directly to the frame and are held in by body weight as guy I knew used one and it put a hole above his door frame. He wasn't over weight or using it other than directed. I am sure there are ones better designed that do not cause damage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast