Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pull-up bar solutions

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Would 2X4 joists (in the garage) be strong enough to mount a bar to, if it went across two of them? I weigh 220.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Would 2X4 joists (in the garage) be strong enough to mount a bar to, if it went across two of them? I weigh 220.
    You mean the bottoms of your trusses?

Last year I did most of my ice climbing conditioning by "dry-tooling" and "heel-hooking" the open joists in my garage. Would do laps all the way around, joist to joist, hanging upside down above a 12' drop to concrete slab. All 2x4 truss. Had no problems, nor concerns about it. I'd say a pullup bar would be well within safe load.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for the info, Dead Man! The "stud bar pull pull-up bar" Yut Yut linked to on page 1 is what I will prolly be using:

http://www.studbarpullup.com/

Until then I will be doing Australian pull-ups using my squat rack. I did five sets today, and it seemed worthwhile. My pull-ups suck, and this should let me build up to doing regular ones.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    +1 for the door gym, from Golds gym.

http://img.iconcdn.com/GetGoldsGym/i...og/WGGHG09.jpg

Feedback Score
    The Stud Bar Pullup looks really good, thanks for the link.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I ordered the Stud Bar on Amazon and saved some money on shipping.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    We have them at every station for crossfit/ military athlete/rescue strength work outs - galvanized / or black pipe with foot plates angled out from the wall. or 4x4 sections with inch holes and the pipe from one to the other. Door jams suck for kipping and dead hang and even jump ups when you hit a wall.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123