Thread: 5" Sig Scorpion Range Report.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

5" Sig Scorpion Range Report.

I received this new Sig Sauer Scorpion 5" in a trade. I picked the pistol up on Monday, brought it home, stripped it down, removed the factory lube, and applied Fireclean - My lube of choice.

Small parts quality is pretty impressive. Machine work is clean, checkering is clean, and the ceracote is applied well. Frame to slide fit is quite nice for a production gun. Barrel fits well with just a very slight movement when the hood is pressed down with the barrel in battery. The muzzle has zero movement in the bushing. Sights are acceptable, and glow strongly. Grip safety fits well as does the ambi safety. The safety snicks off and on with a satisfying click.

The trigger fits well and is approx 5 lbs in pull weight with a clean break. Not bad for a production gun. Grips are pretty cool Hogue grips that form a magwell. I like em.

Range Report:
    The pistol was shot with zero modifications from the factory. Lubed with Fireclean before firing. Ammo used was 50 rounds of various random ball found at my house, 50 rounds of Aguila, and 100 rounds of Federal. I shot 5 magazines in very rapid succession to heat the gun up and see if it functioned. Accuracy was good. Its a 1911 after all.
    After the 5 magazines I performed the 10-8 extractor test. The pistol performed flawlessly, so I performed the test twice.
    I fired 200 rounds total, which is not a lot, but its a start. The gun functioned 100% which actually surprised me.

Its a nicely fit pistol that looks cool. So far, it shoots well. The jury is still out on it but I like it so far. Its not a carry gun, or a HD gun. Its a fun gun. I love 1911s.

Kiowa pilot turned Hooker.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Good review, with a lot of positive remarks. I'm kicking around picking one up later on down the road and am not quite at 1911 guru status just yet. How is it not a carry or HD gun?
    Good equipment is no substitute for good training.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a multitude of fine defensive and carry firearms. This one was acquired simply because I like 1911s, and I think it is a stunning looking handgun. Time will tell if it makes it into my rotation.
    Kiowa pilot turned Hooker.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: 5" Sig Scorpion Range Report.

I'm not a 1911 guy, but in handling this gun, I like the controls. My hands can reach the slide release.

What I'm not knowing about is the mainspring housing is also g10 right? I had never seen that before and don't even know if that's good or bad. Are Sig's barrel a good quality?

sent from mah gun,using my sights