Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USPSA Production Race Gun - Modifications to a Glock pistol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only modifications that would add weight to the pistol are a heavier guide rod, grip tape, and sights depending on what types you get. Otherwise you're changing out parts that are very similar in weight profiles or in some cases, reducing weight by installing for example a skeletonized striker.

If you're going to make these mods to your gun, the only way to truly know what it weighs is to put it on a scale, and I would highly recommend anyone who goes to a major USPSA competition does just that. If you're going to pay to travel & pay match fees, continue that due diligence and know that your highly modified Production gun is in fact within the rules. Getting pushed to Open class really sucks.

Once you find a tuned load for your pistol I think the heavyweight guide rod is the riskiest part & would cut that out if you're getting close to a weight problem. Otherwise you should be fine with the changes above, if you see something specific please point it out. Personally I think the heavyweight guide rods can be a double edged sword - by having weight out front it soaks a little more of the recoil but then also it is more mass to get moving quickly and more mass to stop precisely.

Luckily, regular high quality practice with your gun (and not constantly changing things up) can overcome much of any problem to a high level of proficiency.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    I know that this is an older thread and the title is: "USPSA Production Race Gun - Modifications to a Glock pistol" but the origial op's first line reads:

"Last year I got into competition shooting with a focus on USPSA, IDPA and 3 Gun."

So I have to make a comment and say that if you do all of these mods you won't be in "stock service pistol" in IDPA any longer. As a guy who shoots IDPA and USPSA I usually set up my gun to the IDPA rules and use the same gun in USPSA production, even though I shoot more USPSA than IDPA.

I did like the above write up and wanted to thank the OP for a good review of the USPSA rules.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not as deeply familiar with IDPA rules but what above is specifically is not allowed? Just stippling?
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    Check it out: http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/g0hunysc.eoc.pdf

These rules expired on 10/1/13 and I have to find a new set of rules: http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/g0hunysc.eoc.pdf

The two things that jumped out at me instantly were things like a tungsten guide rod or something heavier than stainless and stippling certain areas. I also run the same gun out of the same holster in both games so picking an IDPA holster is also a smart move to run in USPSA IF you want to play in both sports with the same equipment. Everything is the same the way I play both games for equipment. You might want a specific gun for USPSA and another for IDPA.

It's a game, go have fun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks. Haven't read through that in a while. The differences are small, I can see why you'd want one gun for both games. Doesn't seem like you give up anything particularly important anyway.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The links in the original post seem to be dead so here is Grant's tutorial on doing a home trigger job that I referenced in my writeup

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...b-%28Part-1%29
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    That's a lot of thinking about the hardware. Do you put that much effort into your dry-fire practice? If so, you'll be a GM fast if you're not one already already.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Great thread, thank you! Question: Are aftermarket base pads like the ShockBottle or Dawson Prec EZ-OFF for Glock legal in USPSA Production?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12