Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Special Forces Worry About M110 Durability

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Special Forces Worry About M110 Durability

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Being more or less an OpEd piece, it is difficult to discern how much of it is valid, and how much is simply opinion. Interesting insights on the accuracy front, if true. Trouble is, there is always more to the story, and this reads a bit like a hit-and-run. It would be nice to see some actual data, assuming it exists -- or did exist with some of the earlier rifles.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The instructor responded that Colt was the patent holder for the forward assist design and it would have set the entire M110 project back years and millions of dollars to license the design or start from scratch to create something new that performed the same functionality.
    WTF?!

I went through that course and know a few of the instructors. I'd like to know who he is referring to.....But doesn't sound like anything that would be said. Not saying it didn't happen but it stinks....
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Feedback Score

another article

http://kitup.military.com/2011/04/ar...per-rifle.html

So my guess is that the Army is looking to get a SR25 Carbine into service.

ETA: Just read the date of the article is from April of 2011. So not all that recent.
    Last edited by Apricotshot; 08-22-13 at 10:38.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yeah, is the CSASS program still underway?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    I have experienced this personally (accuracy drop off in a short period of time)

Now the Mk20 was supposed to be a replacement for all of the M110's but that gun has issues as well. It also appears that SOCOM has had all of the mk17/mk20 solutions sitting at the J8 since march. There has been no forward progress on the SCAR front because I think there are many who want the the scar to die and we all have Hk417's instead

I don't agree with that at all, but considering the lack of a 1000% reliable, durable, and fully functional 7.62x51 semi auto precision system is making wonder what the F happened.

I like the m110 alot and the mk20 even more so. But the fact neither can seem to get the bugs worked out of it after this long tells me that some serious ass chewings need to happen. We are not going to be getting a new major project for small arms for some time IMO.

The SCAR fiasco will never happen again, I think procurement is going to be headed for a more off the shelf approach. With that the civilian market can in certain ways lead the military one. A shift in focus to more testing on part of the civilian companies who submit the weapon system for procurement (with mil oversight) is probably going to be in order.

rant over

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That article is about two years old. Also, it says the accuracy issues have been fixed on the newer versions of the M110.
    Native Texan

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: Special Forces Worry About M110 Durability

The army has a repair contract, by their own desire, to send back any M110 system, to be completely refurbished.

They can also order spare parts, though the system already comes with the spate/repair parts that are possible failure points. We have seen a distinct correlation between increased knowledge and increased effectiveness. Yeah, I work for the company that makes the rifle that is being subjected to this criticism, so I understand if folks don't care about my input, but I came from one of those "critical" user communities, and I was grossly misinformed prior to my employment as to what the issues were and where they stemmed from.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    If no one else does, I appreciate your input on this, F2S.

You're at one end of this, and I was at the other end.

Our loaned weapons (including the M110s) were returned to their owners, and they were the ones who had the correct funding code for repair parts, send them back, whatever.

It was very frustrating to have broken stuff and not be able to fund the fix when we go back home.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Special Forces Worry About M110 Durability

Quote Originally Posted by TheBelly View Post
    Please refresh my memory, what disparity are you referring to?
    Jack's post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    We have seen a distinct correlation between increased knowledge and increased effectiveness.

I came from one of those "critical" user communities, and I was grossly misinformed prior to my employment as to what the issues were and where they stemmed from.
    Also, what are the issues and where do they stem from?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast