Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber TLE/RL II opinions

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)

Kimber TLE/RL II opinions

Whats your opinion on this pistol? Haven't owned a 1911 in 6 years and got the itch to get one so I picked one up today. I heard bad things about there external extractors! I always thought Kimbers were top of the line.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Kimber admitted the external extractors were not performing and will swap the slides for you if you have one.

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    Damn I guess Ill give them a call! Have they been having trouble extracting or are the parts breaking? Thats just my luck!

Feedback Score
    i have a tactical custom II and it works great . i've been thinking about getting a warrior and have been researching a lot . supposedly their QC is hit or miss over the last couple of years . so if you get a good one great

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    Kimber admitted the external extractors were not performing and will swap the slides for you if you have one.
    While they DID replace my slide, they chalked up the extractor change to 'cost issues' and did NOT admit it was a poor design. They basically did everything they could to blow me off but I stood my ground until they made it right. I'd rather nail jello to the wall, much easier

According to the CS (and I use that loosely) guy that I spoke to the whole 'external extractor' debacle was merely a rumour propagated by a bunch of 'internet gunsmiths' and had no credibility.

The argument ended when I asked him if he considered LAV to be a 'gunsmith'. Followed by a 'send us the gun then'.
    "So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

Get yours news at Presscheck.org!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by evilmonkey View Post
    Damn I guess Ill give them a call! Have they been having trouble extracting or are the parts breaking? Thats just my luck!
    Breakage I don't know about, but they suffer from poor tensions and poor geometry. Mine was so bad that the gun would drag the case head of the last round fired down thru the feedlips of the magazine, spreading them apart and completely locking up the gun. Showstopper. It took a a screwdriver to get the empty case and mag out of the guns.

There are pictures of all this over at 10-8 in the 1911 subforum, they have an ongoing thread for 1911 Malfunctions. Go take a peek.

The funny thing was, the gun ran perfectly for around 2700 rounds and then WHAM, heinous malfunction.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...rt=2&vc=1&nt=3
    "So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

Feedback Score
    so how does it run now ?? i have about 1500 rds through mine and havent had any problems . i like it so much i am looking at the warrior . and yes i have been reading all the negative things about kimber and the warrior . i have also started looking at springfeilds , specifically the mc operator . what do you guys think and yes even though its been covered any updated info would be much appreciated

Feedback Score
    Got it back with a new slide, and new night sights from Kimber. They also reamed the chamber and did a few small other things.

Fired a 50 round test, and sold it. The CS guy was so abrasive that I was over it at that point. Extractor tension was good on the new unit, so I would guess its probably fine with its new owner. Easier to work on with the internal config as well.

Buying an out of the box 1911 and expecting it run with the degree of reliability I require is an ongoing adventure. Decided I didn't want to take the trip, at least in the near future.

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    Screw it, I just got back from returning the Kimber and got one of the Springfield Trophy match 1911's. The manager of the shop was a hell of a nice guy! He had no problem taking back the pistol. The place is Collectors firearms here in Houston. You cant beat good customer service!!

Feedback Score
    If you get a good one you are good to go. Unfortunately the TLE II I bought a couple years ago (internal extractor) never did work properly. After a few trips to Kimber it worked well but I did not have great confidence in the gun so I sold it.

I am now in the process of saving for a custom/ semi-custom 1911.
    I know a lot of guys who shoot the heck out of there Kimbers and they have been top notch. I think I just had one that slipped through the QC cracks.
    If War is ever lawful, then peace is sometimes sinful.
    - C.S. Lewis 'God in the Dock'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast