Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Vickers Tactical One Day Home Defense (8/25/13, Southington, CT)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Special thanks to Chris Fields, Dean, Henry, Neil, and Eric at King33 Training. Chris and gang did a fantastic job hosting this event, providing the shoot house, plexiglassed shoothouse targets, sims guns and ammo and safety officers on relatively short notice.

Chris is a US Army Special Operations veteran (Green Beret) who deployed numerous times in hostile environments and other overseas assignments both in uniform and as a private contractor. A relative newcomer to the area, he has provided a wealth of new training opportunities to regular guys and has been more than receptive to hosting outside instructors like Larry.

Last edited by 30 cal slut; 08-29-13 at 07:01.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Very cool, and it's terrific to hear that you gents have such a good facility there.

That level of personal coaching is just priceless. I'm really glad you got the opportunity to do such a great class.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Just saw Heavy Metal post his AAR.

So I'm gonna bump this thread with a few more pics.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

Phew. One AAR down, two more to go.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Sounds like a really excellent class. Larry needs to get his butt back down to GA.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Thank you very much for that AAR. Given the photos and explanation, it was very informative for someone who has never attended LAV's Home Defense class (such as myself). I had a completely different picture in my mind of what, such a class, would resemble and entail.
    Did you get to participate, or were you only taking pictures?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That looks like such a good class.

Excellent job of writing an AAR and taking illustrative pictures.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    Thank you very much for that AAR. Given the photos and explanation, it was very informative for someone who has never attended LAV's Home Defense class (such as myself). I had a completely different picture in my mind of what, such a class, would resemble and entail.
    Did you get to participate, or were you only taking pictures?
    Just took pictures this time around.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
    Great AAR Ben, and another splendid job hosting this class! I had a great time at this class. Even though it was tiring doing a 2 hour drive early morning, then 2 hours back after the class, it was well worth it. We just don't have this type of opportunity in NJ, so my buddy and I had to jump on this class!

This was definitely a different flow than your typical 2 day LAV class. As mentioned, it pays to show up with a basic understanding of trigger control, since this isn't a class where the fundamentals of accuracy are drilled on. In typical LAV fashion, only accurate hits count, and Larry was sure to call you out on any shot that sucked balls.

During my initial run through the shoot house, I definitely performed some actions that would've potentially gotten me killed real fast had there been multiple assailants hiding within the structure. I think the majority of the class would feel the same way. It's amazing how I ended up sweating, even though I moved like a snail through each run. Just goes to show how much stress and adrenaline hits you in these types of situations (and these were just threats on paper). By the time we got to the last scenario, I felt more aware in the scanning of my surroundings, and not telegraphing my way around corners and doorways as much. Being allowed to take your time through each scenario, with Larry guiding you every step of the way was priceless.

I left the class with a new-found appreciation of just how dangerous clearing a house alone really is. I always knew it was dangerous, but now I see just how much of a deathtrap certain layouts really can be. I would love to do a followup class to this, with more scenarios, and with a low light component too!

Big shout out also the guys at King 33 Training Center. They not only have a first rate facility, but also a top notch group of instructors. They all took the time to answer questions students had while waiting their turn to go through a FOT run, and were more than willing to help drill in what the LAV had just taught.
    Ken, glad you made it.

BTW, it gets a lot more interesting when you are tracking down a living, breathing, moving threat in the dark.

As LAV says, nobody stands still during a gun fight.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    What time did you guys end the course?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast