Thread: Can I get a stripped lower, then later SBR it?

Feedback Score

Can I get a stripped lower, then later SBR it?

The title pretty much says it all...

While I am currently in the process of putting together my first AR (a Noveske middy), I have plans to build possibly 2 more by the end of the year, one of which may or may not be an SBR. If I were to get two stripped lowers (in addition to my middy...), could I turn one of them into an "SBR lower" after I've purchased it? If yes, are there any advantages or disadvantages to doing so?

I know I read a thread that covered this (and more) recently, but I can't for the life of me find it. It was fairly long and gave something like a 10-12 step process for getting an SBR registered. If someone has a link to that, I'd appreciate it. If not, an answer to the above question would be a great substitute.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    YES.

No particular advantage or disadvantage I can think of. Many here have done it. I am currently waiting for my own stamp to come back.

Don't have the link for ya. But it shouldn't be too hard to find and there is a lot of good info tacked at the top of the NFA forum.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here's the link: "How to SBR Your Lower by Scottryan"

Go for it!

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    the only disadvantage is that, by using a Form 1 to manufacture the SBR, you are considered the maker and will have to engrave your name city state on the receiver. A factory SBR transfers on Form 4 and doesn't require your name city state to be engraved on it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's how I did it. I bought an stripped RRA lower and sent off my paperwork. While I was waitig fo that t muddle its wy through the BATFE maze, I send off the stripped lower to Orion Engraving. Good luck!!
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, only disadvantage that could be thought of as one would be as Derek said- the fact that you must engrave it (by written law, possibly not enforced as someone is bound to come in and argue over.)

Advantage over buying a factory SBR is you own the lower now and don't have to wait for it to arrive. Not that you are really going to do much with it in the mean time.

Now talking about something like the ACR or a rifle like that where I can't really build my own is that I would like to have it as an SBR and would much rather have that from the factory so I do not have to engrave anything on it's upper.

But, I'd have to wait 2 months to get it whereas if I bought 16", I could have it when everyone else gets theirs and wait while the paperwork is being reviewed before putting a shorter barrel on it.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...