Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 223 enough for a Hog?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

223 enough for a Hog?

Hey all, I'm getting the opportunity to hunt hogs in Texas in October. I'm really hoping I can end up taking the AR, and I'm mostly wondering if any of you have taken a pig with 5.56? I do have a .308 I could take, but... I don't want to.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score

Re: 223 enough for a Hog?

Ive shot several with 308 and 223. I handload barnes 62 gr tsx bullets and they work fine for me. Just aim behind the ear. You shouldnt feel undergunned hog hunting with a 223.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by andre3k; 08-30-13 at 16:52.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Read through the thread on the 70 grn TSX performance. Skypup has had some pretty sweet results on hogs with it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting you should ask, the Sept issue of American Hunter the author of "Grown-Up Hog Loads" who didn't think too much of the .223. Interesting read, he stated an AR is an outstanding choice for hogs, if chambered for the right cartridge. His choice of uppers are:

.30 Rem AR

.450 Bushmaster

.458 SOCOM

.50 Beowulf

Forgot to add: to answer your question, I certainly would say .223 is good-to-go.

h
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 08-30-13 at 20:45.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I wouldn't do it, but my boar hunting background is in Germany, where minimum caliber requirements are a serious matter, and the quarry is unusually-large and ill-tempered. Depends upon the hog and the type of hunting, of course, but the only AR I've got that would likely go on such a hunt is the 6.8.

Not suggesting anyone else is wrong, as I buy most of my bacon from the supermarket these days; that said, my usual boar gun was a 8mm Mauser mountain carbine, if that tells you anything about how much I dislike tracking a wounded Keiler into a thicket at night.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Your AR is fine as long as you use quality ammunition.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    big fat yes. It will kill a hog.

Like said, use a good heavy hunting bullet and make a good shot.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by High Tower View Post
    Read through the thread on the 70 grn TSX performance. Skypup has had some pretty sweet results on hogs with it.
    This. That thread will erase doubt about a .223 with a proper projectile being adequate against hog, even with behind the shoulder lung shots.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    Interesting you should ask, the Sept issue of American Hunter the author of "Grown-Up Hog Loads" who didn't think too much of the .223. Interesting read, he stated an AR is an outstanding choice for hogs, if chambered for the right cartridge. His choice of uppers are:

.30 Rem AR

.450 Bushmaster

.458 SOCOM

.50 Beowulf

Forgot to add: to answer your question, I certainly would say .223 is good-to-go.
    Interesting list. I'm wondering why .308 didn't make the list.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your AR is fine on a pig no matter what you shoot out of it. I base that statement on my history of slaying bacon in TX and watching less informed friends shoot whatever crap they could find at Academy at them...with remarkably good success.

BUT if you want to kill them ethically and quickly, loads utilizing Barnes TSX bullets are what you're looking for. The only .224 bullets I've used that I have absolutely no qualms about putting into big game. There may be some other bonded bullets that will work well, but I've been thoroughly impressed with the Barnes.

You don't even need the heavy ones. The 53/55 grain TSX bullets are wicked on pigs and deer, and are widely available in sporting goods stores loaded up from Barnes and a few other manufacturers as opposed to the pseudo custom manufacturers like ASYM or Black Hills you'll have to go to for the heavy stuff unless you load.

The AR15 is the national pig hunting gun of Texas.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast