Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 223 enough for a Hog?

Feedback Score

Re: 223 enough for a Hog?

Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    You don't even need the heavy ones. The 53/55 grain TSX bullets are wicked on pigs and deer, and are widely available in sporting goods stores loaded up from Barnes and a few other manufacturers as opposed to the pseudo custom manufacturers like ASYM or Black Hills you'll have to go to for the heavy stuff unless you load.

The AR15 is the national pig hunting gun of Texas.
    I can't find TSX projos around here to load. I'm really hoping to find the 70 gr. Silver State Armory also produces TSX loads, one even to 5.56 pressure.

That last line is sig worthy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by .46caliber; 08-30-13 at 22:03.

Feedback Score
    Folks in Texas are using FMJ, green tip and the like and are dropping hogs with ease. So 556 will take a hog without a problem but personally I would go with the TSX or a bonded round.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STONE-YARDER View Post
    Folks in Texas are using FMJ, green tip and the like and are dropping hogs with ease. So 556 will take a hog without a problem but personally I would go with the TSX or a bonded round.
    I took 30+ this year with green tip. It is definitely enough

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xjustintimex View Post
    I took 30+ this year with green tip. It is definitely enough
    But was that neck or body shots?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    Interesting you should ask, the Sept issue of American Hunter the author of "Grown-Up Hog Loads" who didn't think too much of the .223. Interesting read, he stated an AR is an outstanding choice for hogs, if chambered for the right cartridge. His choice of uppers are:

.30 Rem AR

.450 Bushmaster

.458 SOCOM

.50 Beowulf

Forgot to add: to answer your question, I certainly would say .223 is good-to-go.

h
    Funny he never mentioned the 6.8 or the 6.5...I lost some respect for Bryce Towsley after the way he opened the article...Oh well.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

I also deal with 5-10% of the population 80-90% of the time...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WNY_Whitetailer View Post
    Funny he never mentioned the 6.8 or the 6.5...I lost some respect for Bryce Towsley after the way he opened the article...Oh well.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes he started off as a pompous ass and his "never humble opinion" is like chalk on a blackboard.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaWoodsman View Post
    But was that neck or body shots?
    I've done both depending on the situation. I usually lead their head and catch them behind the ear. It is the easiest way I have found on a hog. If they sit still it is more than capable behind the shoulder. Just try not to get the actual shoulder as I have not seen adequate penetration in that re-guard. If they start getting over 300lb it is a good idea to take neck/head just in case.

edit to add: I have had some issues with heavier BTHP bullets and have had much more success with m855. As everyone has already said... Barnes bullets do some serious work! But m855 works too.
    Last edited by xjustintimex; 08-31-13 at 09:56.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xjustintimex View Post
    I've done both depending on the situation. I usually lead their head and catch them behind the ear. It is the easiest way I have found on a hog. If they sit still it is more than capable behind the shoulder. Just try not to get the actual shoulder as I have not seen adequate penetration in that re-guard. If they start getting over 300lb it is a good idea to take neck/head just in case.

edit to add: I have had some issues with heavier BTHP bullets and have had much more success with m855. As everyone has already said... Barnes bullets do some serious work! But m855 works too.
    I have a shitload of M855... I'd be happy to shoot that!!!

I'll be shooting this out of a Larue PredatAR upper with which I still need to do a bit of testing and see what loads it really likes.

I'll definitely be trying for head and neck shots, however I don't really want something that will ONLY work for head and neck. If I've only got a body shot, I want to make that work.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    Ive shot them with the m855, m193, Federal Fusion, and black hills 75 grain match hps. m855 does fine in head/neck shots. All in all .223 will be adequate provided you have good shot placement. Hell, you can find some helo hunt videos where hunters exterminate large amounts of hogs with ar15's.

Feedback Score

PMC .223 55gr. FMJ
    Bay City, TX.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by .46caliber; 09-03-13 at 11:09.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast