Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 223 enough for a Hog?

Feedback Score
    Choose the proper bullet!!!

Feedback Score
    Next time PSA has their $319 or $399 specials on 6.8 uppers I'm getting one.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Of course it is. Don't let all the numb nuts tell you different. Put the round where it needs to be and a .22mag will do the job.

556 is PLENTY

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Of course it is. Don't let all the numb nuts tell you different. Put the round where it needs to be and a .22mag will do the job.

556 is PLENTY
    Local game warden claims they kill most of the ones they shoot with a .22 mag.

He suggest shot placement right behind the ear.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Not a problem.....

Especially with the right bullet.....Nosler Partition comes to mind, though many others will also get the job done.
    If we want to regain the respect of the world, we should begin by announcing that children have no business expressing opinions on anything except "Do you have enough room in the toes?" -Florence King

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    5.56 will do the job. Though I have since upgraded to a suppressed 300BLK SBR for my new go to hog gun. I've not yet tried it on hogs yet but I need to.
    Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    My go to hog gun is a 16" marlin .22 mag. I have used quite a bit of 5.56 and 9mm. My father has a mission in life to destroy hogs and coyotes. I happily help him. 5.56 will work great. I like .22 mag or 5.56 with a can. You can often get several shots off before the herd gets spooked.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use hand loaded Sierra 65 grain Game King on hogs. Killed plenty with shots to the shoulder on running pigs in the 150-200 lb range. They roll right over easily. 64 grain Winchester Power Points are used by my non-reloading buddy with the same results (except he misses more).

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Pigs can be big and thick but they'll die easy enough. I've used 62 grain TSXs in a .223AI, 62 grain TBBCs in a .223 and 85 TTSXs in a 6x45. Use a toughish bullet and you'll do fine.

It's important to remember that the anatomy of a hog puts it's heart a bit lower than most critters. There are a couple of autopsy threads on line you can google.

This one was plugged with the AI. I shot another one a few weeks ago with the TBBC that was nearly as big. They were both bang flops with shoulder shots.
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How many people that actually hunt hog with an AR hunt the animal from the ground?

Those of you that say "yes, I hunt from the ground and not a helicopter, or at night with night vision", will you tell us your thoughts on caliber choice and bullet type?

I can kill anything with a semi auto from a helicopter.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast