Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 223 enough for a Hog?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've never shot a pig without both of my feet on the ground. I'd be happy to hunt any pig walking with a 62 grain TTSX.
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    5.56 is plenty enough to take out a hog. Shot placement is key.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedreaux View Post
    I've never shot a pig without both of my feet on the ground. I'd be happy to hunt any pig walking with a 62 grain TTSX.
    During the day?

I'm not trying to imply hog hunting isn't something you can't do with a .223 or from the ground, I'm just curios because I've never been hog hunting. I prefer to Still Hunt, and if I did hunt hog I would hunt at their level on their turf and I'm not sure if the environment, shots, etc change drastically based on the position of the shooter. I've always heard that a hog is "armored" in the forward torso but that may just be hear-say.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yeah, I've shot a few at night but most of mine have been during the day. I shot two this afternoon between 4:00-5:00pm, leaning on the top of a fence post. I was carrying a 7-08, but only because I was expecting to get a longish shot at a deer. Either shot would've been fine with a .223 (a 222 yard shot at a 150ish# boar and a 107 yard shot at a much larger one). The second hog's body (not the tail, neck or head) was a shade longer than my 22" rifle, so around 42" and around 20" deep. Butt to snout he would've been nearly 5' long. I was trying to deer hunt so didn't autopsy either of these today, just cut off the tails for the county bounty.

They do have a shield that extends from the front of the shoulders to around the back of the rib cage, but it's thickest over the shoulders. Here's a pic of the shield from that hog in the tailgate pic above. The 62TSX penetrated one shoulder, turned everything inside to soup, penetrated the other shoulder and stopped at the off side shield.

Here's a similar size hog from a few weeks ago. He was shot with a 7-08 and factory Fusions. The bullet penetrated exactly the same and they both fell in place.

The gristle is tough but with a good bullet it's not an issue. It'll usually stop bullets from exiting though. The regular sized 100-150# hogs will have a shield but nothing nearly as thick as the pics above, usually around 3/4" or so from what I've seen.
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac5.56 View Post
    During the day?

I'm not trying to imply hog hunting isn't something you can't do with a .223 or from the ground, I'm just curios because I've never been hog hunting. I prefer to Still Hunt, and if I did hunt hog I would hunt at their level on their turf and I'm not sure if the environment, shots, etc change drastically based on the position of the shooter. I've always heard that a hog is "armored" in the forward torso but that may just be hear-say.
    I've done it a couple of times, but it was inadvertent. Walked up on hogs whilst on the way to and from the stand. I did reach pucker factor five while I was unable to see the hogs, not knowing if they were really big ones. Never any luck when actually trying to stalk up on one, yet, but the guys who hunt where I go regularly tell me it's quite easy to walk up on them.

Feedback Score
    I did hog depredation for many years- mostly dogs and a pistol. Someone made the comment that any .223 ammo is fine but I would disagree. Not exactly a news flash but shot placement is critical with those light calibers. I now just bowhunt hogs but every once in awhile we bust one with varmint bullets while calling coyotes. 2 weeks ago my buddy blew a bullet up on the shoulder of a big hog and it only ticked him off- need a big game bullet on that shoulder shot but it did give me a lot to rib him about on the ride home- grin.

I didn't see it but he said he head shot one a few yrs ago [again, expanding varmint bullet] and the hog got up and took off as he stood next to it- just blew up on his noggin knocking him out. Lower 1/3rd behind the front leg or low behind the ear and that hog takes a dirt nap.

.223 illegal for big game in Ca.
    Last edited by Beendare; 01-02-14 at 22:20.
    'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    I did hog depredation for many years- mostly dogs and a pistol. Someone made the comment that any .223 ammo is fine but I would disagree. Not exactly a news flash but shot placement is critical with those light calibers. I now just bowhunt hogs but every once in awhile we bust one with varmint bullets while calling coyotes. 2 weeks ago my buddy blew a bullet up on the shoulder of a big hog and it only ticked him off- need a big game bullet on that shoulder shot but it did give me a lot to rib him about on the ride home- grin.

I didn't see it but he said he head shot one a few yrs ago [again, expanding varmint bullet] and the hog got up and took off as he stood next to it- just blew up on his noggin knocking him out. Lower 1/3rd behind the front leg or low behind the ear and that hog takes a dirt nap.

.223 illegal for big game in Ca.
    While out hunting a buddy had some bad experiences with 223 VMAX. I had to finish off two of them for him. A good bonded or solid copper bullet is my preference.

And as I've said before, know where you're shooting the animal and the 5.56 with the right bullet is a solid choice for even the larger boar within 200 yards or so, depending on ammo.

After this last hog I shot with my 300blk, I really appreciate that little rifle.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 01-02-14 at 22:30.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I shot this 175lb boar last weekend in East Texas w/ my 18" AR & 77gr SMK's @ ~130 yds. These aren't optimum bullets for hunting, but shot placement is key whichever bullet you choose. I definitely wouldn't use them for game animals though. Shot him in the ear and he dropped immediately. There was blood everywhere, what you see in the pic is only a small part of it.

Last edited by Onyx Z; 01-03-14 at 00:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Goog bullets and shot placement

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Read a few post here about behind the ear, note following:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast