Thread: Problems with the Midwest Industry rail.(pic heavy)

Feedback Score

Problems with the Midwest Industry rail.(pic heavy)

I recently did a number of upgrades to my mystery 1997 Ak74 that I think we figured out what it was (Romanian SAR-2.) Anyways I did the following upgrades to her this evening, but the rail will not fit on my barrel. What kind of barrel is on my AK? As like with the rest of the AK there are very few markings to go off of. If it would help I can post all the markings, I got a much better camera now.

Krebs Custom Guns Mk VI Enhanced Safety Selector Lever

Arsenal, Inc. Polymer Buttstock NATO Length

Hogue OverMolded Pistol Grip

Midwest Industries 2-Piece Handguard Quad Rail

Now the problem I am having is that even with it claimed all the way down, it will not clamp to my barrel. I have read on AR15.com that a person had a similar problem in 2009 and Midwest milled a custom shim for the guy to make it work so it could clamp to the barrel. I emailed them today and I hope I hear back from them soon. I am hoping for a member here that may heard of similar problems. I understand that the AK specs can vary and not all accessory's will work. There has to be a few people out there that have had similar problems. Thanks for the help guys/gals.

Update: Just got a reply back.
    Zachary. Please check the diameter where the clam mounts to the barrel. A standard barrel is .700. Please let us know what diameter yours is. We can make you a shim kit and send it to you next week. Once you have a measurement let me know what it is and also include your shipping address. Thank you.

Troy Storch
    Midwest Industries Inc.

Markings I did find

Before the Upgrades

After

Rest of the markings just in case people don't remember this strange rifle.

It says 8539

Last edited by zack991; 08-30-13 at 20:14.

Feedback Score
    I could have told you it wouldn't fit. This first surfaced with the Ultimak rails. That's cool they're taking care of you like that.

You don't see SAR2s much these days.
    Last edited by eodinert; 08-30-13 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    I could have told you it wouldn't fit. This first surfaced with the Ultimak rails. That's cool they're taking care of you like that.

You don't see SAR2s much these days.
    Now I just need a caliper to find what size my barrel is and hope for the best.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    To get it to fit on a SAR 2 you will need the barrel shims http://ultimak.com/SH1.htm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Talking

IMHO it looked so much better before your "upgrades"

Feedback Score
    The shims arrived today and I am having mixed feelings how this turned out. It has a .600 diameter American barrel, so shims were needed. The shims they sent are not what I was expecting, nothing more then several cut thin steel strips stacked, it works but I am really reconsidering finding another rail system that will fit. Going to the range to see how it does with it tomorrow, it nothing else I will just sell them lol.

Last edited by zack991; 09-06-13 at 23:02.